Problem with pattern instructions

Lisa ann

I don't have that pattern, the best way to figure this out is -- did you have the right number of stitches (or clusters, if that is the relevant thing to count) in row 2?  Sometimes the cause of something like you are seeing is an error made by the pattern (or the crocheter) in the prior row.

Don't photocopy the whole pattern here, but it is OK to type out a line or 2 without violating copyright--it would help if we could see what rows 2 & 3 say.  

Both 24 and 32 are multiples of 8, and the difference between the number of clusters is 8, which might be a clue.  Or not, but troubleshooting often involves math.

Forgot to add, welcome to the 'ville!

Edited by Granny Square

2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I don't have that pattern, the best way to figure this out is -- did you have the right number of stitches (or clusters, if that is the relevant thing to count) in row 2?  Sometimes the cause of something like you are seeing is an error made by the pattern (or the crocheter) in the prior row.

Don't photocopy the whole pattern here, but it is OK to type out a line or 2 without violating copyright--it would help if we could see what rows 2 & 3 say.  

Both 24 and 32 are multiples of 8, and the difference between the number of clusters is 8, which might be a clue.  Or not, but troubleshooting often involves math.

Forgot to add, welcome to the 'ville!

Row 2 has 99 dc which I have.

row 3 Ch 5 dc in each of the next 2 dc work double cluster* dc in same dc and in each of the next 2 dc work double cluster * rep from * across to last 2 dev dc in same dc and in next dc ch 2 dc in last dc and turn 24 double clusters

Copying so I don't have to scroll and do punch numbers into my calculator at the same time :wink  my notes in red, pattern in black:

Row 2 has 99dc which I have. I am going to assume that includes the turning chain which conventionally counts as a DC, unless the pattern specifically says it does not.  Conventionally, when you turned after row 1, you'd chain 3 and skip the first DC you encounter (which was the last one made in row 1), and proceed across by making the first actual DC into the following stitch.  At the end of row 2 and following rows, you'd make the last DC into the top of the turning chain from the prior row.  I'm making a point of this, because it trips a lot of crocheters up, and not knowing this is the reason for the majority of 'my count is off' questions in this forum.  

row 3 says ch5 dc in next 2 dc, So, you turned, chained 5 instead of the usual 3 for DC (in other words, this is a DC + 2 chains), skipped the first DC, and made 5 DC in each of the next 2 DC.  This "uses" 3 DC for the row's stitch count, so 99-3 is 96 DC remaining.

work double cluster.  I'm  going to assume this uses 1 stitch, so 96 DC remain.

*Dc in same dc this uses 0 more from the prior row, so 96 still remain

and each of the next 2 dc and work double cluster* rep from* till the last 2 dc.   This uses 3 DCs for each repeat, 96  divided by 3 is 32, so it comes out 'even', meaning zero stitches left to work into, all of them used.

So much for thinking the number 8 might have anything to do with it.  Double check my logic and math, but this is the sort of thing I do to figure out 'is it me or the pattern', I break it out into steps and figure out how many stitches are used in each step.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Copying so I don't have to scroll and do punch numbers into my calculator at the same time :wink  my notes in red, pattern in black:

Row 2 has 99dc which I have. I am going to assume that includes the turning chain which conventionally counts as a DC, unless the pattern specifically says it does not.  Conventionally, when you turned after row 1, you'd chain 3 and skip the first DC you encounter (which was the last one made in row 1), and proceed across by making the first actual DC into the following stitch.  At the end of row 2 and following rows, you'd make the last DC into the top of the turning chain from the prior row.  I'm making a point of this, because it trips a lot of crocheters up, and not knowing this is the reason for the majority of 'my count is off' questions in this forum.  

row 3 says ch5 dc in next 2 dc, So, you turned, chained 5 instead of the usual 3 for DC (in other words, this is a DC + 2 chains), skipped the first DC, and made 5 DC in each of the next 2 DC.  This "uses" 3 DC for the row's stitch count, so 99-3 is 96 DC remaining.

work double cluster.  I'm  going to assume this uses 1 stitch, so 96 DC remain.

*Dc in same dc this uses 0 more from the prior row, so 96 still remain

and each of the next 2 dc and work double cluster* rep from* till the last 2 dc.   This uses 3 DCs for each repeat, 96  divided by 3 is 32, so it comes out 'even', meaning zero stitches left to work into, all of them used.

So much for thinking the number 8 might have anything to do with it.  Double check my logic and math, but this is the sort of thing I do to figure out 'is it me or the pattern', I break it out into steps and figure out how many stitches are used in each step.

Row 3 is supposed end with 24 double clusters.

I guessed that a double cluster used 1 stitch because I didn't have that information.

I erred in my  paragraph "work double cluster.  I'm  going to assume this uses 1 stitch, so 96 DC remain" I should have said 95 remain, because there were 96 to available before this move, if my earlier math was right.  And that is only true if a double cluster uses 1 stitch, but I said I was guessing, and apparently you didn't catch that either.  So the pattern or my math is off by 1 stitch over the row.

96 divided by 3 is 32, but 96 divided by 4 is 24.  So my assumption was incorrect re: how many stitches a double cluster used, it must be 2 not 1.  Right?  But there's still that 1 stitch.

My solution when something like this happens is to fudge-cram (or fudge delete, as the case may be) an stitch in the row somewhere inconspicuous.

41 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I guessed that a double cluster used 1 stitch because I didn't have that information.

I erred in my  paragraph "work double cluster.  I'm  going to assume this uses 1 stitch, so 96 DC remain" I should have said 95 remain, because there were 96 to available before this move, if my earlier math was right.  And that is only true if a double cluster uses 1 stitch, but I said I was guessing, and apparently you didn't catch that either.  So the pattern or my math is off by 1 stitch over the row.

96 divided by 3 is 32, but 96 divided by 4 is 24.  So my assumption was incorrect re: how many stitches a double cluster used, it must be 2 not 1.  Right?  But there's still that 1 stitch.

My solution when something like this happens is to fudge-cram (or fudge delete, as the case may be) an stitch in the row somewhere inconspicuous.

Somehow row 3 has to be worked over 4 stitches from row 2 the double cluster does have its own stitch.

17 hours ago, Lisa ann said:

Somehow row 3 has to be worked over 4 stitches from row 2 the double cluster does have its own stitch.

I would rather not fudge it. I am giving the blanket as a gift to my niece. I need help to figure out the problem.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, Tampa Doll said:

Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

Thank you for welcoming me. I still need help with my problem that I explained.

I do not have the pattern and you have not give enough info to actually help you.

If this is the pattern you might try reading thru the project pages for any problems others had and how they resolved them

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/heartwarming-wrap/people

We need to see the first rows of the pattern EXACTLY as written right down to the punctuation in their entirety.  Any typos, addition, subtraction of words and or punctuation can totally change what you are supposed to do.  We also need to see the exact instructions from the notes to see how the double cluster and any other special stitches are made.  Also including a good photo of your work can help.  Study your work against any photos that came with the pattern or others photos you might find to see if you can see what is different.  Patterns can have errors.  

7 hours ago, bgs said:

I do not have the pattern and you have not give enough info to actually help you.

If this is the pattern you might try reading thru the project pages for any problems others had and how they resolved them

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/heartwarming-wrap/people

We need to see the first rows of the pattern EXACTLY as written right down to the punctuation in their entirety.  Any typos, addition, subtraction of words and or punctuation can totally change what you are supposed to do.  We also need to see the exact instructions from the notes to see how the double cluster and any other special stitches are made.  Also including a good photo of your work can help.  Study your work against any photos that came with the pattern or others photos you might find to see if you can see what is different.  Patterns can have errors.  

The link you attached I already look at. It don’t help. These are the direction for the first three rows and row three is my problem.

ch 107 loosely

row 1 (eyelet row) Dc in 8th ch from hook, * ch 2. Skip next 2 ch, dc in next ch; rep from *to end - 34 spaces.

row 2 Ch 5 (counts as first dc CD and ch2 now and throughout), dc in next dc, (2 dc in next ch 2 sp, dc in next dc) across to beg ch, ch2 skip next 2 ch, dc in next ch, turn - 99 dc.

row 3 (right side) Ch 5, dc in each of next 2 dc, work double cluster, * dc in same dc and in each of next 2 dc, work double cluster; ref from * across to last 2 dc, dc in same dc and in next dc, ch 2, dc in last dc, turn - 24 double clusters.

the pattern is also .99 cents on Mary maxim website.

7 hours ago, bgs said:

Somewhere usually in notes at beginning there should be instructions on how a double cluster is made.  We need those instructions in order to sub them in anywhere pattern has the term double cluster.  This person had problems at first with making the double clusters.

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Jmtorre/heartwarming-wrap

This is the instructions on how a double cluster is made :

Yo, insert hook front to back around post of dc below last dc worked, * yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook, yo, insert hook from front to back around same dc, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loop on hook* yo, skip next dc, insert hook from front to back around post of next dc, rep from * to* once, yo and draw through all 5 loops on hook.

Now I see a possible explanation.  Making post stitches are not that tricky but placement of your next stitch can be.  When you make a post stitch you are working around the post of a designated stitch  and leaving the normal place you would have made a stitch unworked.  If you make a post stitch and work in normal place you will be making increases.  Your post stitch lays over that unworked stitch.  

25 minutes ago, bgs said:

Now I see a possible explanation.  Making post stitches are not that tricky but placement of your next stitch can be.  When you make a post stitch you are working around the post of a designated stitch  and leaving the normal place you would have made a stitch unworked.  If you make a post stitch and work in normal place you will be making increases.  Your post stitch lays over that unworked stitch.  

Now I see my problem I wasn’t doing a post stitch and the double cluster is worked over two dc from the row below. I am going to try this row again in a little while and will let you know if everything worked out. Thank you.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, Lisa ann said:

Now I see my problem I wasn’t doing a post stitch and the double cluster is worked over two dc from the row below. I am going to try this row again in a little while and will let you know if everything worked out. Thank you.

I have been trying now I come up with 19 double clusters. I thinks it’s because in the directions of the double cluster it tells me to skip a dc and work the rest of the cluster in the next dc. Please help me to see if I am reading the directions wrong.