what is the pat

tytbody

Question

Hi, I hope someone is around to help me understand a pattern 

my question is: 

the pattern reads. :     gauge 13 sts and 10 rows = 4"  in pat

what is the Pat = pattern?  where is the pattern? what pattern.. it has hdc, sc, sctbl,   which pattern do I use to find the gauge?  

thank you. this is a free pattern by yarnspirations so there is no designer to ask. 

also the yarn says use a 5mm and the pattern says us 8mm,  '=I'll use what I can but I don't know which pattern stitch am I to check against. 

7 answers to this question

Which pattern on Yarnspirations is it?  

NEVER, EVER go by the gauge on a yarn label, if you are trying to hit a specific gauge on a pattern for a garment that needs to fit or be a specific size like a blanket for a baby not an adult or vice versa.  You need to hit the designer's gauge, not some average gauge on the yarn label.  Designers are human; so are you and I; some of us crochet loosely, some tightly.  I know I crochet a little tighter than most designers, (to match gauge I more often have to go up a hook size than not), but there are a few designers I need to go the other way.  You can use a wide variety of hook sizes for US#4 weight (like Red Heart Super Saver), I've used from a US F to a K for that weight for various things (3.75 - 6.5mm) to hit a designer's gauge.

Crochet patterns can define the pattern stitch repeat in a couple of different ways.  One way is to define a pattern repeat before the pattern starts, and clearly label that it the stitch pattern only, not the start of the item's instruction --""Pattern Stitch: row 1, blah blah; row 2, something else" for however many rows.  Another is to just establish a pattern without overtly saying so, example: "row 1 sc across. Row 2 dc across; repeat in pattern until piece measures x inches", so you'd know the pattern is alternating rows of sc and dc.

19 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Which pattern on Yarnspirations is it?  

NEVER, EVER go by the gauge on a yarn label, if you are trying to hit a specific gauge on a pattern for a garment that needs to fit or be a specific size like a blanket for a baby not an adult or vice versa.  You need to hit the designer's gauge, not some average gauge on the yarn label.  Designers are human; so are you and I; some of us crochet loosely, some tightly.  I know I crochet a little tighter than most designers, (to match gauge I more often have to go up a hook size than not), but there are a few designers I need to go the other way.  You can use a wide variety of hook sizes for US#4 weight (like Red Heart Super Saver), I've used from a US F to a K for that weight for various things (3.75 - 6.5mm) to hit a designer's gauge.

Crochet patterns can define the pattern stitch repeat in a couple of different ways.  One way is to define a pattern repeat before the pattern starts, and clearly label that it the stitch pattern only, not the start of the item's instruction --""Pattern Stitch: row 1, blah blah; row 2, something else" for however many rows.  Another is to just establish a pattern without overtly saying so, example: "row 1 sc across. Row 2 dc across; repeat in pattern until piece measures x inches", so you'd know the pattern is alternating rows of sc and dc.

I'll take a guess it's mainly hdc. and I'll use the 8. seems like it will be very loose and a lot of wasted stitches to see if I'm using the correct size hook..  Since it starts off in ribbing, and doesn't tell you  how many inches of what stitch, this is going to be a crap shoot. scared to try it but, I won't know unless I try. thank you. 

You can contact Yarnspirations to see if they can help.  They paid a designer for the pattern.

If you give us the link to the pattern we might be able to help out more.

If its a garment and needs to be a certain size  you really need to learn how to check gauge and compensate if need be.  Good thing about crochet is when it does not work out you can pull it apart and start over.

• Like 1

First you make ribbing as specified for your size.

Second step is making a row of SC into the side of the ribbing (this isn't the pattern yet, it is sort of 'step minus 1' to make a base row for the body of the sweater, sort of like a foundation chain, ish.

Then is says "proceed in pat(tern) as follows" and gives you 3 rows of instructions.  THEN it says "Rep(eat) 2nd and 3rd rows for pat(tern) until work from lower edge of Ribbing measures" and so on.  So it does tell you what the pattern is, it is the second and third rows of those 3 rows.

Usually I don't like variegated yarns but this is such a long color run, it makes it look interesting.   Looks nice and warm! 

the yarn they chose is not my preference either. I planned to tone it down quite a bit..  Still wanted to use what I have instead of purchasing more yarn this year..  I have like 7 balls of 4 wt yarn and I thought I could get some sort of cardigan out of it..  thank you for the help...  

odd place to put the pattern wouldn't you think or is it me.?  ya, it's me... lool...  

Definitely makes sense to use stash! Don't forget to do the math of the # of balls of the pattern yarn needed to determine the meters needed for your size, and check you have enough stash yarn to make this work...

I dunno, the body-pattern instructions happen where the body starts; I've been knitting and crocheting for a long time and I guess I think of the ribbing as 'not the (main) pattern', it's the way a lot of cardigans and pullovers start; I think of it more like a big foundation 'chain' I guess.