Question about freeform crochet ...

Hook and I

I've love the look of freeform, but have never tried it.

One thing I always wondered about ... when you are making scrumbles ... do you make the motifs etc and then SEW them together afterwards?

Or is freeform supposed to be more of an organic thing where you pick up stitches anywhere on the orignal piece and keep 'building' outwards?

I look at some of the great examples online, and I can't quite figure out how they've add-on the bullion spirals (for example), unless they sewed them on seperately ... but maybe I'm missing something? lol

Anyone?

Thanks!

Nancy

That's what is great about freeform...you can do it either way!

See this site:

www.elegantcrochet.com/

It belongs to Bonnie Pierce...Queen of the Bullion/Roll stitch.

Look around for her tips on the stitch and don't forget to look at the pics...they are fabulous!

Also there is a Yahoo freeform group...many published members and lots of info there. Look through the links, files and photos...you won't be able to get enough!

NOTE: I made a simple hat (skully style) and am starting out small...making flower motifs that I will mix together and sew on the hat...covering the whole thing.

If I were making a shawl...I would start out by just adding and adding...as one.

So...freeform can be done either way. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I did my first scrumbles inspired by Prudence Mapstone's book (her site: http://www.knotjustknitting.com) but I didn't know quite how to sew them together, so I used a matching color of sewing thread.

My friend, Janice Rosema, suggested using a thin mohair to sew them together. The mohair has a strong, core thread, and the fuzziness helps the stitching to disappear. What an improvement!

Kim

Archived