New to crochet and patterns, need help

RobinA.

Question

Hi! I’m brand new to the crochet world. I bought a pattern and can’t figure out exactly what “3sc  into the 2nd stitch from hook” means. I know what sc mean and 2nd stitch means. My issue is the 3sc. Can someone explain this? 

2 answers to this question

Hi Robin, welcome to the 'ville!

Exactly what DeltaMS said, and just to throw in a tiny bit more detail because you are not the only new crocheter to ask this - there is always at least 1 loop on your hook until you finish off.  You don't ever count that one, and it's a loop anyway, not a chain. 

Let's say you chained 5.  There are 5 chains, plus 1 loop on your hook.  The second chain (away from) the hook means to ignore the loop on your hook, ignore the first actual chain next to the hook and stitch into the following one - which is the second chain from the hook.

As far as putting 3 stitches into 1 chain or stitch, that is a question that often comes up--you would be surprised how many stitches you can put into 1,  I've put close to 20 into 1 on more than 1 occasion.  You do it the same way you put 1 SC into a chain, just keep cramming them in there.

• Like 1