Margaret Anne

Margaret anne

I am fairly new at crochet from Ontario Canada. I am attempting to make the POSITANO Tee however I am already stuck on the 2nd row. I currently have 96 stitches, Row 2 is as follows; Ch1, 1 HDH in same st. *1sl st in next st, 1 HDH in next st. Repeat from * 46 times.  1 sl st in next st. Turn your work. 
This repeat gives me 92 sts  plus 1 HDH and 1 sl st = 94 sts. I don’t understand the ch1, 1 HDH in same st. where are the 2 missing stitches to total 96. Please help. 
Thanking you Margaret Anne.

Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

The best place for help is in Crochet Help.  You will get the answer you need.  I am not very good at helping.

Welcome Margaret Anne!  

I assume HDH means half double crochet (HDC), using US terms.  That is an odd stitch with regard to 'turning chains', sometimes it is treated like a SC; when you start a row of SC, you chain 1 and SC in the first stitch you encounter, because the chain 1 does not count as a stitch.  When you start a row of DC, you chain 3, and skip the first stitch, because the turning 3 chains counts as the first stitch, so you have to skip the real first stitch.

So what your pattern is saying is to treat a HDC like a SC in this regard.  Chain 1 (the chain does not count as a stitch), HDC in the first stitch.

Edited by Granny Square