Making acrylic yarn more "grippy"

ocelotito

Hi,

I don't know if my question goes in this section. Most of my crochet is Amigurmumi and I use acrylic yarn. It works well except for some little details. For example, I made a little poncho that has a mini fringe and the fringe keeps coming off because the yarn is too smooth and slippery. I have similar issues with some hair techniques. I don't know if there is anything I could add to yarn to make it more "grippy". I guess I could use some kind of glue, but it will be very time consuming. Also, what other fiber would you recommend to minimize this problem?

The only 'fiber' thing that comes to mind, with brands of US#4 weight yarn commonly available, is to avoid 'Simply Soft' brand yarn for those details, nothing wrong with it but IMO it is 'slicker' than other commonly available brands of that weight.

I would never use glue on yarn for any reason, and especially never on a toy.  Instead, I'd use needle and sewing thread to secure fringe or hair.  

Also, if I were making fringe on a toy size poncho, I'd probably 'de-ply' the yarn and make each fringe with just 1 knotted ply.  And then, with needle and thread sew the fringe at the top knot so it can't can't come undone.

22 hours ago, ocelotito said:

Hi,

I don't know if my question goes in this section. Most of my crochet is Amigurmumi and I use acrylic yarn. It works well except for some little details. For example, I made a little poncho that has a mini fringe and the fringe keeps coming off because the yarn is too smooth and slippery. I have similar issues with some hair techniques. I don't know if there is anything I could add to yarn to make it more "grippy". I guess I could use some kind of glue, but it will be very time consuming. Also, what other fiber would you recommend to minimize this problem?

A rougher acrylic (ie. red heart super saver but it's not available in DK) (or wool, cotton yarn) could be considered instead.  Anything that isn't shined.