Not too sure what this pattern means

ggoodyer

Question

Hiya, I am finding this round below difficult to understand. For context the previous round us 24 stitches (12 dc). Is the first part in * * just 3sc, sc or is it a stitch I am unaware of?

*inc sc, sc* repeat from * 10 times, inc sc, 3 sc into last sc, crochet over open segment of circle, sc into first dc from last row.

Thank you!

7 answers to this question

You are going to need to be looking at your previous round to figure this part out.  I dont know what you are working these instruction into.

inc sc, 3 sc into last sc, this part appears to be finishing out the round because it uses up 2 stitches in previous round and when combined with the other 22 you would have used all 24 stitches of previous round.

crochet over open segment of circle, sc into first dc from last row--- I think this is getting you in position for where they want you to start the next round.  I think it wants you to start next round in first dc of previous round so you have to somehow get there. One way would be to cut yarn here and finish off and then join where we want to start  but we loathe working in all those pesky ends.  Patterns often tell you to slip stitch over to that point and usually how many it should take.  Sometimes you just have to use the number that looks right to you. Sometimes studying the photos from the pattern helps.  Its hard to help with limited info.

The wings are not made in a solid circle, they are made in a circle with a slit - rows (not rounds) 1-3 tell you to turn at the end of the row.

I would interpret 'crochet over open segment of circle' not as an instruction by itself, but explaining the end result of the next step.  If I were writing this, I might have instead said 'to join the circle, sc into first DC of last row' instead.  (in doing that, you close the circle (crocheting 'over' the slit).  So you will end up with a circle with a slit, but not slit all the way to the edge.

Inc means make 2 stitches into 1 stitch

*inc sc, sc*  means make 2 sc into 1 stitch of previous round then make 1 sc into next stitch. Repeat this sequence 10 times.  At this point you will have made 33 sc and use 22 stitches of previous round.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bgs said:

Inc means make 2 stitches into 1 stitch

*inc sc, sc*  means make 2 sc into 1 stitch of previous round then make 1 sc into next stitch. Repeat this sequence 10 times.  At this point you will have made 33 sc and use 22 stitches of previous round.

Thank you! that makes much more sense. DO you happen to know what the last part means as well? 

'crochet over open segment of circle, sc into first dc from last row'

1 hour ago, bgs said:

You are going to need to be looking at your previous round to figure this part out.  I dont know what you are working these instruction into.

inc sc, 3 sc into last sc, this part appears to be finishing out the round because it uses up 2 stitches in previous round and when combined with the other 22 you would have used all 24 stitches of previous round.

crochet over open segment of circle, sc into first dc from last row--- I think this is getting you in position for where they want you to start the next round.  I think it wants you to start next round in first dc of previous round so you have to somehow get there. One way would be to cut yarn here and finish off and then join where we want to start  but we loathe working in all those pesky ends.  Patterns often tell you to slip stitch over to that point and usually how many it should take.  Sometimes you just have to use the number that looks right to you. Sometimes studying the photos from the pattern helps.  Its hard to help with limited info.

Thank you, you have been extremely helpful! I have attached a copy of the pattern. It is supposed to give the effect of being 2 wings but unfortunately there is only one picture which doesn't show the wings very well. 

Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 18.40.51.png

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

The wings are not made in a solid circle, they are made in a circle with a slit - rows (not rounds) 1-3 tell you to turn at the end of the row.

I would interpret 'crochet over open segment of circle' not as an instruction by itself, but explaining the end result of the next step.  If I were writing this, I might have instead said 'to join the circle, sc into first DC of last row' instead.  (in doing that, you close the circle (crocheting 'over' the slit).  So you will end up with a circle with a slit, but not slit all the way to the edge.

Thank you so much, I figured it out :)