Beginning chain

Jan

Question

My instructions say ch 101. Dc into third ch from hook and each chain. 100 sts. I can only get 99 even counting the beginning turning chain. The designer insists I should have 100 and directed me to go to a basic “how to crochet site” I feel so confused!

2 answers to this question

Just to check yourself.  Ch 11, dc in third ch from hook and in each ch.  You should have 10 dc including the turning ch. 

No matter how careful I am I cant seem to correctly keep track of large numbers of chains so I now always do as someone here suggested "Make extra chains".  They can easily be undone.  I also find it helpful to make extra chains if I am trying to get a specific width.  Make the chains and then work that first row to the width I wanted.

The other option would be to do foundation double crochet where the base chain and first row are made simultaneously.

Hmm, making a US DC into the 3rd chain would leave only 2 chains for the turning chain, which is not conventional.  But not impossible.

Typically on a foundation chain for US DC, one turns and makes the DC into the 4th chain from the hook (not the third chain), which leaves 3 chains as the turning chain and initial DC (in other words, 2 stitches are made using 4 chains).  So in US terms, to get a first row of 100 stitches, typically a pattern would have you chain 102, not 101.  UNLESS the pattern UK terms, where a UK DC = US SC (where the turning chain is 1 and doesn't count as a stitch) then 101 chains works.

• Thanks 1