stitch count

kckarenann

Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville! 

What are you making?  Is what you typed the entire row EXACTLY what the pattern said--is there any punctuation that you left out?  And why do you think you would ignore the chain 1s the pattern told you to make?  Can you see this area of the pattern in the pattern photo, and can you tell what it looks like is going on?

Sorry for the interrogation, but you didn't give enough info for me to guess. 

Example, if the pattern said: "ch 1, *decrease, ch1, single crochet around 48 stiches and join to first stitch", the initial chain 1 before the asterisk is the turning chain which normally happens at each row end of SC fabric, or the end of a round that is not worked in a spiral, to bring the yarn up to the level of the next row or round that will start with a SC.  Then, you would repeat the stitch sequence that happens after the asterisk (decrease, chain 1, sc)--note that combining a decrease and a chain 1 keeps the stitch count the same but makes a decorative eyelet, and a row of eyelets is entirely plausible - this is why I said to look at the pattern photo.

It's also possible it didn't have the asterisk after the turning chain, in that case the decrease and the chain 1 cancel each other once - but still make 1 eyelet.  Maybe there is a reason for this, maybe a really little buttonhole, like for a doll or baby dress?  

Forgot to add, since the question was regarding stitch count--the turning chain 1 does not count as a stitch for SC; the turning chains for taller stitches do count as a stitch.

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you for replying.  I am coming to the heal of a stocking and I have been decreasing to bring down to one stitch.  Row says ch 1, 2 dec, which leaves two stitches.  The next row confuses me is the  next one.  ch1, dec, ch1 which leave me to 1 stitch and  tow chains then it calls to single 12 down the side, 24 on unworked stitches then 12 up the side. join to 1st stitch. should have  48 stitches. So i must skip the chains to keep the 48 stitches.

Thank you again!

Your conclusion to skip the chains is correct.  "ch1, dec, ch1 which leave me to 1 stitch and  two chains".   You are working in SC, which is the only basic stitch where the turning chain does not count as a stitch.  A turning chain brings your hook and yarn up to the level of the next row.

"ch1, dec, ch1"  -the 'dec' decreases 2 stitches into 1 stitch.  The red chain is (technically the 'chain up) from the prior row.  The blue chain is the 'chain up' from this row, to the NEXT row.  Neither count as stitches, do not do anything with them.