Tunisian Crochet Stitch

Travis

Question

Ive been watching youtube tutorials on Tunisian crochet and start out with 13 stitches since I'm new.   However after I do my first forward pass I believe it's called I get to the end then I get stuck where the needle is supposed to go.    I start with 13 stitches, but then end up with 14 stitches and the 14 stitches stay consecutive.   I followed the tutorials but can't figure out where the extra stitch is coming from.   I can include a photo of my current swatch.

9 answers to this question

At 10:40 she gets to the end of the row.  Insert hook in last 2 it's a front and back maneuver instead of the front loops.  Chain 1 and pull through two loops.  Continue.  That's most likely where you are gaining a stitch.  You can keep returning to the 10:40 time mark till you see it.  Hope that helps.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:59 PM, Granny Square said:

^ What she said. 

Kim Guzman (CrochetKim) is another good resource for Tunisian & 'regular' crochet how-to's, patterns, etc.

Thank you so much for your help!    For some reason I never received notification of your response.   I will definitely watch this :)    Thank you!

On 10/8/2022 at 11:48 AM, NCcountrygal said:

See the v or triangle at the end... Insert hook in the center and pull  yarn forward, ch 1 etc.

IMG_0727.JPG

Could you possibly circle the V or triangle that I would insert the hook into please?

Here is one link to an explanation that shows 2 ways to do it, the loops to use are highlighted.

I have been crocheting for decades but do very little Tunisian, and after seeing the 2 methods I can't remember which I used.  If I were in your place I'd probably try both and see which I liked the look of better.

Edited to add, I know others have given helpful links, but I know sometimes it takes looking at a couple of explanations for 'something' to click. I got back into knitting after a hiatus from high school to retirement, and remembered the basics but it sometimes took looking at a couple of written explanations or videos for something new to sink in--'oh, THAT's what the first video was getting at!' sort of thing.

Edited by Granny Square