C2C so dense

Tds53

Question

I started a C2C afghan with Caron One Pound, acrylic size 4 yarn and a 5 mm recommended hook. I’ve got 24 rows (17”) done and I’m concerned that the resulting fabric is too dense and will not be a soft, comfortable afghan. I’m considering frogging it and starting over with a larger hook. How much larger should I go to get a lighter, softer feeling material? Or is there a way to soften the afghan when I am finished? I’m going for lap size to snuggle under on the couch while watching TV.

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

Everybody has a different stitch tension, tight, loose, tall stitches, short stitches.  A designer might make tight/dense , short stitches and you make tall, loose stitches, or vice versa.  I can't say what works for me hook and yarn-wise will work for you, so the only way to answer your question for YOUR stitch tension is to do a swatch, and see what hook creates a fabric that pleases you. 

You could just make a swatch by continuing on your blanket, just switch to a bigger hook and work back and forth for a bit (you don't have to go all the  way across a row, most gauge swatches are 4" square, for a corner to corner you might want to go a little bigger, maybe go back and forth on a row to build a  6-8" wide and tall swatch because of the stitch pattern repeat)

Or, you might consider a less dense stitch pattern.

Some people think washing acrylic softens it, I don't (but I also don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets).

Edited by Granny Square