Michael's Yarn Event

Lucki721

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but here goes:

Did anyone see the ad in today's paper for Michael's? I often read it online because I don't get the paper every week. Anyway, today there is a 5 hour yarn event where there are contests and I guess an ok sale on yarn. I was hoping that our Michael's here would have had the 'fastest' crocheter or knitter contest, but they didn't, I was so geared up for it too! Not that I am quick by any means, but it would have been fun!

Well, they were having drawings for prizes, and I won the first drawing! I won a Knifty Knitter loom set, funny thing is that I was debating on getting one this past week with the coupon but just didn't get around to it. I never win anything, so I was really surprised! I hope it is easy to use.

Don't forget tonight from 6-9 there is a 'Moonlight Madness' sale at AC Moore, maybe they are having contests too, lol! :yay

I went to our local Michael's....the door prizes were free pattern handouts...got a nice typed up copy of the Coming Home Poncho, some Bernat Boa on sale, a skein of blue Homespun on sale and a skein of Paton's cream wool with my coupon...

Not super excited, but fun fun as far as yarn buying went. They did have a "Yarn Doctor" Helping people with their crochet boo boos....I shoulda brought in my Ooops ghan!

I did hear about that, but didn't really feel like going today. Sounds fun, though! Congrats on winning the looms!! I love those things and use them all the time for hats!

I started another thread somewhere here about this. I won the fastest crocheter contest at the Michael's in Huntsville, AL! I completed 56 double crochets in 3 minutes. My 12 year old daughter came in second place with 52 double crochets! She even beat the store's crochet instructor, although the instructor was working with an injured thumb.

We were also working with Red Heart regular acrylic, which isnt the easiest yarn to crochet fast with. We probably would have done more stitches with something like Caron Simply Soft.

It was fun, and I came home with a great prize package filled with yarn, hooks, and crochet books!

I didn't realize all the stores wouldn't be offering the contest. That really stinks for those of you whose stores didn't participate fully in the event.

Thanks for moving this topic, sorry for posting it in the wrong place!:oops

Glad to hear you won a basket too badrhinogillett!! Does your Michaels have a good selection of yarn? Ours is ok, they have some yarns that AC Moore doesn't, but our AC Moore has more yarn.

AC Moore was really busy tonight too, but no contests. 25% off yarn was enough for me to run in. It has been weeks since I last bought any yarn!

I also won the fastest crochet contest with 100 double crochets in 10 minutes (not very fast) but it was only between me and 1 other woman. My basket included a ball of #10 thread, a filet crochet booklet, one of those ergonomical hooks (h) and a hook storage case! I was very excited. :cheer

I wasn't too impressed with this event. Plus, the crochet demonstrator at my location (New Berlin, WI) didn't show up, so there was not crochet contest. The sales didn't seem all that great to me...it was $1 on the most expensive yarns they had. On the plus side, my mom won a knifty knitter. On the negative side, she's now busy using all of my yarn on it :(

I wanted to go to it today but never got a chance. Im still going to go and pick up some more homespun this week and some baby pink fur yarn to trim this baby blanket I made. If I like how this ModaDea Wild scarf Im making turns out, I might get brave and buy a few more skeins and give those out for Xmas.

Im sorry some of you had such disappointments. That bites.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think our Michaels had anything other than a so-called "sale" on yarn that you could buy at WalMart cheaper than Michaels sale price anyway.

I much prefer AC Moore to Michaels, sale or not. They have a better selection.

Archived