New here can’t read patterns

Faye Lamboley

I’ve been crocheting for a while but never could figure out how to read patterns. YouTube has always been my friend. I can read the basics but sometimes I really wish I had someone to teach me. I’m trying to make a blanket for my grand daughter and I have to be reading the pattern wrong because I end up with extra at the end. Is there anyone that can help me, like actually teach me how to read this stuff?

thank you in advance

Faye

• Like 1

This explains how to read patterns and is how patterns should be written.  Unfortunately there are many patterns out there that do not conform to  this conventionally accepted standard. 

Tips here on reading patterns that are in an abbreviated format and I take issue with their comment "There are no rules or specific guidelines that amigurumi designers must follow when writing up a pattern" especially if they are selling the pattern.  This type of pattern generates many requests here for help.

Personally I would rather have a well written pattern than trying to follow a long series of instructions on YouTube.  I like You Tube if it is showing an unusual step.

When working on projects best advice I can give is to always count, count, count and count at end of every row or round.  Do not continue on unless stitch count is correct.  We get several requests for help on projects getting wider or narrower the more rows worked and that is because stitches were inadvertantly added or left out usually caused by not working properly into first and last stitches. Only way to correct it is to pull it out and start over. This explains working into first and last stitches.

Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

What bgs said is what I believe.  What I did and sometimes still do, is put a (for a blanket) marker on the first and last stitch.  That way you know exactly where they are.  Also I taught myself how to read a pattern, by writing a line down in long hand,  like the pattern might say sc (inc.) 4 times.  I would write sc, inc, inc, inc, inc.  It is a pain, but it does help with the learning to read patterns.  Sometimes the pattern can be confusing.

I too prefer a well written patten, but there are many, especially ami. that are not.  One piece of advice do not be afraid to ask here.  We have quite a few who are great at helping.

Good luck and welcome.

Thank you.  That does help.  I am making a more complex blanket with popcorn stitches and A lot of different swatches and then you crochet them all together.  It doesn't have a difficulty level but I'm going to guess it's intermediate.... I'm having problems with all the commas. I can't figure out how to attach a pic of the first section.  It goes like this...row 3: sc in 2nd sc of previous row, sc x22, ch 1, turn. Row 4: ps in 2nd sc of previous row, sc x19, ps, sc x2, ch 1, turn. Lol. So my main question is after doing a row of popcorn stitches, I'm supposed to single crochet in the next row on top of the popcorn stitch but I can't seem to figure out where the sc is supposed to go.  It's just looks like a mess. 

Thank you

Faye

Welcome to the 'ville!

Addressing the commas in your pattern, it's sort of like the commas I'm making in this sentence, they make it easier to read, and in the case of your pattern, it separates the steps.  

Here is your row 4, after removing the commas:  

Row 4: ps in 2nd sc of previous row sc x19 ps sc x2 ch 1 turn.  This version without the commas is a lot more difficult to read than the original, and I've been crocheting for decades. 

I also make a lot of doilies/ for which 1 round is a whole paragraph/ of different steps covering several stitches/ and sometimes even with the commas/ I'll separate the steps with slash marks/ to make them easier to follow.