Oliver Octopus pattern help

xoLaurie

Question

So I've done the body and the main tentacle of the Oliver the octopus pattern by Mabel bunny and co however I'm stuck on the tentacle suckers.

I've made 63 rows of 6 double crochet stitches gradually reducing at the end. The pattern says for the suckers to start on row 1, stitch 1 of tentacle 1 to slip stitch in each first st of rows 1-63, turn. Then on the opposite side of the tentacle to slip stitch I to the first stitch of rows 63-1, chain 1 and turn.

Row 2 to do 1 double crochet and 1 puff stitch 63 times, chain 1, turn.

Row 3 slip stitch tentacle to close the opening.

I'm so confused with where to start with the slip stitches and what it would look like. Any help would be appreciated!!!

10 answers to this question

So I think this is the pattern. 

https://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/oliver-octopus-and-baby

Its always good to study any photos for clues on what to do.  So it looks to me like you made the tentacle as a long flat piece that gradually decreases.  Its telling you to slip stitch along the edge of the side starting with the side where row 1, stitch number one was at start of tentacle.  You work down the one long side and when you get to the end (where it had decreased to one stitch) you work in that end stitch and back up the other long side.  You turn piece and work puff stitches into the slip stitches down that side and back up the other side, turn and then finally work slip stitches into the puff stitches to close the tentacle up.

This shows how to work along side edges.  When you get to end and are working back up other side its like   working one end of an oval

• Thanks 1

Yes you work into side.  On my crude drawing the red arrows show you working your rows back and forth until you are left with 1 stitch.  You break off yarn.  You join yarn and work as indicated by the green arrows. When you reach the body on other side of tentacle you turn and work back around the other way. Screenshot_20220911-195439.thumb.png.79bbab9cac50cc4f7a1622545f84a5f3.png

I have been studying how the tentacles attach and this is what I think.  The last round of the body is 48 stitches.  There are 8 tentacles and the first row of each is 6 stitches so for the first tentacle do not break off yarn from body.  Work on around for 6 stitches, turn and work row 2, turn and work row 3, etc.  For tentacle number 2,  join yarn on body next to the 6th stitch of first tentacle ( or what would have been stitch 7).  Work 6 stitches into body for row 1,  turn work row 2, turn work row 3 etc.  Keep following this process until you have all 8 tentacles which would use all 48 stitches of the body.

• Thanks 1

So sorry the link I gave you is not how I usually work the sides and I didnt catch the difference until I went back and really studied it now.  I usually do it this way and I think this is the way the pattern wants you to do it.

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/02/03/5-tips-for-beautiful-crochet-borders/

However It does look like you did as the first link instructed.  The problem is your first photo is what it should look like on the backside of something and the way the tentacle will be folded this is really going to be the front.  Again I apologize.

• Thanks 1

That's okay!! 

The first photo is the top side of the tentacle and the bottom is the underside but I thought that would be right as the tentacle suckers are underneath right? 

I just wish the instructions had put some pictures on as I really can't visualise what it's supposed to look like 🤦

I really appreciate your help though! So thank you for getting back to me x

Thats the problem those ugly stitches are on the right side. You are eventually going to fold the piece length wise and you dont want those ugly stitches showing.  In this photo we are looking at the wrong side / inside of the tentacle.  You are going to work puff stitches along the sides where my red marks are.  Then you are going fold the piece so the wrong side is on the inside.  Thats going to leave the ugly stuff on the outside.   If you go to the link I posted for the pattern and scroll down there is a good photo of the octopus and its tentacles which is what I have been using to figure this out.

2085341877_PXL_20220912_190543754_MP.thumb.jpg.bb06eb3d96f87814453ab0176d8a60692.jpg.a6627a27064d794cf03baeb7a86e8c1f.jpg

Question--- did you work this in US double crochet?  Thats what it looks like.    The pattern I linked to says work in US single crochet or  UK double crochet.   US single crochet is the same thing as UK double crochet.  Most toys are made in US single crochet because it makes a tighter fabric so that the stuffing does not show or come thru the holes that would be made using other stitches.

Thank you! I think I understand it now!

I've just looked up what a UK double crochet is and I've realised I've done it all wrong 🤦as what I thought was a double crochet is actually a triple crochet. Thanks for helping though, I think I might just start over and hopefully complete it eventually haha!!