Extended single crochet questions

Lynn Johnson

Question

Hi, I am an intermediate crocheter, however, I am stumped!  Would you please help me figure this out??  I am making a crocheted skeleton.  I am at the ankle part, and it requires both Extended single crochets, ESC decreases and ESC increases.  I am completely clueless.  

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance.  Thank you,  Lynn Johnson

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Have you ever done a Foundation Single Crochet?  It is very similar.  (If you haven't, never mind, it's not a necessary prerequisite).

For an normal SC, you stick the hook in a stitch, yarn over, pull the loop thru the stitch (2 loops now on hook), yarn over, pull thru the 2 loops on the hook.  

For an extended SC, you stick the hook in a stitch, yarn over, pull the loop thru the stitch (2 loops now on hook), yarn over, pull thru 1 loop on the hook (the one on the left, if you are right handed), yarn over and pull thru the remaining 2 loops.  The bold part is what makes it different.

An ESC increase--I've never done this, but I assume would be the same as most increases - 2 ESC in 1 stitch.  (This increases by 1 stitch)

I've also not done an ESC decrease, but again I'd assume it is the same as any other single stitch decrease of 2 into 1 - make 1 incomplete stitch (2 loops will be on your hook), then another incomplete stitch in the next stitch (3 loops will be on your hook), yarn over and pull thru all 3 loops.  By 'incomplete stitch' -  see above, it's the last point where 2 loops are on your hook.