Turning work around

LanaSumalee

Question

Hello, i am new to crochetting and I just crochetted a little frog from a tutorial on youtube. But i noticed that at some point she turned her magic cirkel around so that the short thread was now inside of the ball if that makes sense. I was wondering if you always have to do that or only if it’s written on a pattern.

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Typically when you are working in a center-out circle, the right side is facing you and the yarn tail in the center starts out (and stays) on the 'wrong' side (not facing you, as you said 'inside the ball').  This is true of toys which often start with a circle that becomes a round ball shape for the head, and flat circular doilies.  (why would you want the yarn tail sticking out in the front of your work, ever?)

The scenarios I can think of:  (1) there may have been an appearance/texture reason that she did this to switch the orientation of the stitches so the 'wrong side' of the first few rounds would show on the right side of the frog, but I think this is unlikely.  (2) the tail was sticking out on the front side from the start and she just pulled the tail to the back and didn't flip it like you thought?  I also sort of think this is unlikely, or would be for me because the tail would be in the way and it would bug me.

A third scenario but I also think is unlikely for a frog - some patterns might have you could turn every round.  But a written pattern or video narrator should specifically tell you what to do.  I'm making educated guesses of what might be possible, some patterns go in strange directions (but that's how you learn new things!).

Also--I freely admit I stay away from videos in general, because so many of them are horrible.  There are a very few video sources I trust, and usually use them only for a new-to-me technique explanation, not a whole pattern.  If she didn't explain why she flipped it, and it was important to do so for that texture reason for example, that is a problem.