Pattern confusing

Joji

Question

I am working on my first crocheted blouse. The pattern has just placed markers dividing the sections for sleeves, side back, and front of the shirt (the shirt is made in one piece with seams down center back and underside of sleeves). The part I don't understand is it then says to "carry each strand up between the two sts directly above on every row" (these two stitches are at all marker points). What strands? I have one strand! The following rows are written as if side back, sleeve 1, front, sleeve 2, and side back are worked continuously so I'm not sure why I'm needing to carry strands. Please help.

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Let me make sure I'm visualizing this right - I think you are describing that this is made in sort of a " + " shape?  Where the upper half of the vertical line is the front, the lower half is the back, and the side extensions are the sleeves?  (with a neck hole where they cross) Don't scan the pattern and post here, that would violate copyright laws; but if the pattern is on the 'net somewhere, or at least a photo of it, could you link to it, or give the name?

Based on what you said, that is not making sense to me either.  The only possibility I can think of to carry anything is if it had to do with the neck hole if it was striped (and made the way I described above).

To clarify, I was thinking of something like this pattern - look at the last page, there is a diagram of the outline.  On the right side is an opening which is the front, the center area pointing up and down are the sleeves, and at the left is the back.

In the above post, I was describing the same thing, except turned with the front facing up, where the pattern I just linked has the front on the right side.

The 'neck hole' in the diagram I just linked is facing to the right--and I didn't describe it well, it's not a hole but rather a slot.