Coats&Clark Aunt Lydia’s crochet thread

Peasant

I have a 40year old+ crochet pattern for a Peasant Shawl that I want to make again. The pattern that I have I copied from the original onto index cards. My writing only says “22 balls” of crochet thread, not how many yards (!). So I’m at the fabric store trying to figure out if the Aunt Lydia’s 400 yard “ball” of #10 ecru crochet thread would be the same as what I might’ve used back then? Or has the yardage on the ball changed over the years?

(ALSO right next to the 400 yard ball is a huge 2,730 yard ball. I could save some $$ if I were to buy 3 of those instead of 22 of the smaller balls).
So my question is: does anyone know if the #10 crochet thread balls were 400 yards 40+ years ago or has the yardage changed? Please know I appreciate any help or suggestions. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Peasant,

Aunt Lydias 10 is the one I use most of and have many totes downstairs.  The old balls of 400 yards are now 350 yards because manufacturers downsize, so yes they have changed.  The largest balls that are still available are still 2730 yards, most available in ecru.  I always buy this size when I can, if you run out, you don't have to worry about colour matching because it is always the same.  When in doubt, buy the big one, save some money and if you run out, buy more.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What size hook did it say to use for the shawl?  It could be #10 (probably not smaller, but not impossible either), but for a shawl it could also be a bigger  #3 or #5 thread size that you could use a small yarn hook size with.  Which doesn't answer your question, but rather complicates things.

I mostly make doilies nowadays and like Lacycrochet keep a ball of ecru and white of those gigantic mile-long Aunt Lydia's on hand; one ball has to be more than plenty enough for a shawl, and you might have fun using the rest for doilies.

• Like 1