multiple stitch displacement

HappyCrochetGirl

Question

6 answers to this question

"Stitch displacement loop" is not a standard term.  Does the pattern have an area of 'special stitches' or 'stitch definitions'?  Usually in an area before the actual pattern starts, or sometimes at the end.

Is the pattern translated into English from another language, or perhaps the designer's first language is not English?  Sometimes online translator software can come up with mysterious wording.

A couple of things come to mind, but they are truly wild guesses--possibly a slip stitch; some patterns have you 'scoot over' nearly invisibly using slip stitches, but then why not say slip stitches.  Or maybe a chain space.  Or maybe a turning chain?

Is the pattern a free one on the internet, and if so could you link to it?  Maybe one of us could figure out what was meant by looking at the end item, or more of the pattern.  (if it's not free, don't copy it here, that would violate the designer's copyright)

1 hour ago, HappyCrochetGirl said:

Can anyone give some idea as to how I do a multiple stitch displacement please.

The pattern row says: 22sc + 3 displacement loops

Thanks in advance (TIA)

Hi Granny Square, thanks for your reply, It has been translated from Turkish, I believe and the lady's English is unfortunately not very good. I have decided not to pursue this particular pattern as there are too many things that don't make a lot of sense. This particular query did have some what of an explanation but not very clear. I did try to use an inline translation app but it just repeated in English so they may have translated into nonsensical words like "roticy" rows which I took as "rotating" rows and 3 different abbreviations for, I'm assuming, increase, so on and so forth. 

Sorry for this rather long winded reply, but thank you again for help, I do appreciate it. 

⚘️⚘️

6 minutes ago, bgs said:

I havent heard that term either but found this.

https://carmencrochet.com/what-is-a-single-crochet-offset/

Thank you, that's has explained it in a way that I now understand. Unfortunately there way too many other words and sentences that don't make a whole lot of sense to me so I have decided to shelve this pattern for the time being and look for one I can understand. 

Your help has been greatly appreciated, thank you once again

⚘️⚘️

It can be very challenging trying to work patterns that have been run thru a translator.  What I do is try to find the original pattern in its original language and compare it to a chart of crochet terms from that language to English and often that along with the translated version I can figure it out. 

Here is a chart with some Turkish  to English.

https://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/turkish-crochet-terms-and-u-s-crochet-terms/

I agree though its often best to look for a different pattern.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Ohhh, that makes sense (displacement=the 'drift' that happens when you work in a spiral). 

HappyCrochetGirl, the drift or displacement happens when always working with the same side facing, because (unlike knit stitches) crochet stitches don't sit directly on top of each other.  I made an ugly swatch a while back which demonstrates 1 way to stop that, which is to work into the back loop of the stitch, leaving the front loop free; this does change the look of the stitch a bit.  I have seen tutorials that say doing a yarn under rather than yarn over works too--I may be doing it wrong (very possibly) but I don't notice a difference with yarn under only.

Edited because I forgot my ugly swatch--all done in the round, same side facing, except the bottom grey thru both loops and the top red BLO. Each non-background colored stitch is made into the non-background colored stitch below it.

1695579002_BackLoopstraightline.thumb.jpg.91bceea9b0252d943fec8e45eed62a9a.jpg

Edited by Granny Square