Knitting Needle Query… for a Newbie

NicolaJayne

Can anyone recommend a wool size and knitting needle sizes for a beginner, who wants to learn but doesn’t want to purchase anything to expensive incase she can’t master it.

After crocheting since 2015, I’m used to crochet cotton, double knit and Aran yarn..

For knitting needles, I use Clover needles and Susan Bates. Both are relatively inexpensive and can find at major big box retailers. I personally like the Clover needles because they are lighter and my stitches don't tend to move around as much as the metal needles. To me, metal needles become heavy after using them for a knitting session.

I learned to knit on size 8 needles using 4 weight yarn which worked since the needles aren't bulky and neither is the yarn. I worked my way up to bulky yarn and larger needle size once I became comfortable.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I agree with Jstaff, if you are already used to US#4 'medium' weight yarn, and not working something that needs a precise gauge, #8 US sized needles work well with that weight - it's the same as a US I size hook, which I also grab for that weight most of the time if gauge doesn't matter.

Not that I think Boye needles are necessarily the best brand-wise (they are the only ones I've ever used aside from my brand X bamboo double-points, which aren't heavy either), I think they work fine, and are relatively inexpensive; I just happen to own a set of interchangeable Boye needles, which are hollow aluminum, and only 4" long, and very light - the majority of the fabric is on an attached nylon cord, which is even lighter.  I learned on straight needles (the kind that look like pins, with stoppers, I think about 14" long without digging my ancient ones out and measuring them), and I would not recommend them to a new knitter--mine were ancient even 50 years ago when they were passed down to me, and were heavy-- they make my wrists hurt just thinking about them.  They may have even been hollow too, but they were almost 5 times longer than the interchangeable ones. 

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all that has been said, but watch the length you get.  Just learning you do not want a needle that is to long to handle.  They range from 12 inches and up.  For a beginner I recommend the smallest length, as I doubt you will be making an afghan just learning.