Pumpkin Trio - Pattern Math Help

coldseeps

Question

Instructions:

Row 1: Ch 18, sc in 2nd stitch from hook, * pull up loop in same ch as previous st, pull up loop in each of next 2 ch, yo and pull through all loops on hook (cluster made), ch 1, repeat from * across end with sc in same st as last leg of last cluster, turn = 8 clusters

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in same st, * cluster as established over same st as previous st and next 2 sts, ch 1, repeat from * across, end with sc in same stitch as last leg of last clusters turn.

My Problem:

So in Row 2 I end up with one extra stitch on the end. I did some math and while Row 1 is worked over 17 stitches there are 18 total stitches; however Row 2 seems like it is worked over 17 stitches but there are 18.

Am I doing my math wrong? Is the pattern doing their math wrong, if so, any suggestions on how to fix it?

The pattern was published as "Pumpkin Trio" in Country Afghans, The Vanessa-Ann Collection.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

7 answers to this question

I think your chart might be off on the left side.  I think if you work as instructed the clusters center over each other and are not offset.  I also think there might be an error in the pattern.  I am assuming you continue repeating row 2.  When I worked as instructed leaving that stitch on the end unworked I get uneven edges. To get straight edges I worked the last cluster and then made the last sc in the next or last stitch and not into the last leg of the cluster.  

20220818_000438.thumb.jpg.4cd546faf059a67606025c2890ddd2bf.jpg

I think your pattern is cute, not cheesy, it made me smile!  :jack

I argee with Bgs' interpretation and swatch, before I saw her post I copied your pic and turned it 90° so I didn't have to tilt my head- the clusters in the photo are stacked up on top of each other (like Bgs' swatch), not offset like your diagram.

Doing the math as I type, pasting your pattern line--my notes in red

Row 1: Ch 18,

sc in 2nd stitch from hook, (you have lost 1 chain by skipping it, and used 1 chain--there are 16 left)

* pull up loop in same ch as previous st, pull up loop in each of next 2 ch, yo and pull through all loops on hook (cluster made), (you have used 2 chains to make a cluster - not counting the first stitch because that chain was used twice--14 chains left)

ch 1, repeat from * across end with sc in same st as last leg of last cluster, turn = 8 clusters (a cluster spans 2 chains, and you had 14 chains left, so that will make 7 clusters - these 7, plus the 1 you made above, make 8 and use up all the chains)

Me again, not in red - the pattern math sounds right--I think you are trying to count the initial chain you skip, the 'turning chain' before the first sc.

In any event, a crochet 'trick' in general - if you accidently chain too many, and you've followed the pattern correctly - you can later pick out the extra chains, it will not unravel from that end.  In fact, if a pattern has a lot of chains, I throw in a few extra in case I lost count - I'd rather pick out chains than discover I have 298 not 300 after the first row, and have to start over.  (I learned that trick from vintage patterns, some had you chain a distance not a number of stitches, and work back until you couldn't finish the last pattern repeat)

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Doing the math as I type, pasting your pattern line--my notes in red

Row 1: Ch 18,

sc in 2nd stitch from hook, (you have lost 1 chain by skipping it, and used 1 chain--there are 16 left)

* pull up loop in same ch as previous st, pull up loop in each of next 2 ch, yo and pull through all loops on hook (cluster made), (you have used 2 chains to make a cluster - not counting the first stitch because that chain was used twice--14 chains left)

ch 1, repeat from * across end with sc in same st as last leg of last cluster, turn = 8 clusters (a cluster spans 2 chains, and you had 14 chains left, so that will make 7 clusters - these 7, plus the 1 you made above, make 8 and use up all the chains)

Me again, not in red - the pattern math sounds right--I think you are trying to count the initial chain you skip, the 'turning chain' before the first sc.

In any event, a crochet 'trick' in general - if you accidently chain too many, and you've followed the pattern correctly - you can later pick out the extra chains, it will not unravel from that end.  In fact, if a pattern has a lot of chains, I throw in a few extra in case I lost count - I'd rather pick out chains than discover I have 298 not 300 after the first row, and have to start over.  (I learned that trick from vintage patterns, some had you chain a distance not a number of stitches, and work back until you couldn't finish the last pattern repeat)

My issue wasn't with the chains and Row 1, that worked out fine, but with Row 2 itself. Row 1 creates 18 stitches but Row 2 only spans 17 stitches, leaving one stitch unworked. 
However, I've never heard of being able to go back and pick out the extra chains. That's a really neat trick! Thank you for taking the time to answer! 

You can't. or very rarely will have, the same # of foundation chains as stitches--you will normally chain the # of stitches plus the turning chain, which for SC is 1.  So you chained 18, 1 of which is the turning chain (which is left empty by definition, and for SC the turning chain is not counted as a stitch, and the 17 remaining chains are filled with SC.

Edited to add, for clarity, re-reading this later to clarify what I was trying to get at --  often, a pattern will separate the foundation chain from the first row, in other words the foundation chain is 'row zero'.  Your pattern lumped them together, but they are really functionally 2 rows.

That is how I interpreted it--look how I copied it above, on 2 lines not 1; I was lazy and just hit carriage return to separate the chain from row 1, but patterns commonly word the beginning of a pattern like below, with the foundation chain a prerequisite for row 1, because it really is a separate row, right?

Chain x.

Row 1 - do stuff.

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you for you response again 😊! I understand foundation rows and how skipping a number of chains from the hooks works, that's not my problem with this pattern. Maybe I wasn't too clear the first go around, I'll rewrite the pattern as such and leave my comments in red:

• Chain 18
  • Row 1: Sc in in 2nd stitch from hook, * pull up loop in same ch as prev st, pull up loop in each of next 2 ch, yo and pull through all loops on hook (cluster made), ch 1, repeat from * across, end with sc in same st as last leg of last cluster, turn = 8 clusters
    • Everything is fine at this point no left over stitches from the foundation chain 
    • However 2 sc + 8 cl + 8 ch gives me a total of 18 stitches
  • Row 2: Ch 1, sc in same stitch, * cluster as established in same st as prev st and next 2 sts, ch 1, repeat from * across, end with sc in same st as last leg of last clusters, turn. 
    • This is where the real problem comes in, Row 1 has set up 18 stitches (not chains); however Row 2 is only worked across 17 leaving me with the sc from Row 1
    • So really my main issue is how to remedy this and make it look like the texture in the pattern (attached) (very cheesy Halloween pattern, I know)
      IMG_6078.thumb.jpg.ec88c711b20453ae192a27c36443e51e.jpg

(Back to me) I've also attached a chart if that's more you're thing to look at as well (definitely not as good at charting)! I really appreciate the help!
 IMG_6084.thumb.jpg.f133e8ffbab83ba45d71bda80a1e2cfc.jpg