tutorial for crocheted yalmake preferably in DK cotton

Carol Ortiz

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Don't worry, you've posted in the right spot, and even if you hadn't, we'd have answered you anyway ;) 

I'm a right handed crocheter, but I don't think there is a difference in the way a pattern is written for a right handed or left handed person, just the way the person goes about doing what the pattern says (at least, I've never seen one, and I've been crocheting since 1970). 

I'll take a look, I Know I've seen yarmulke or kepi patterns in doily thread but not sure about heavier stuff.  I'm fairly sure I've seen vintage beanie patterns that are almost the same thing, that might use DK weight yarn.  Will report back...

I have struck out, nothing in that yarn weight; I also looked at vintage 'beanies' since they are also almost the same thing.

Generic recipe for a hat:  first, average head measurements

Per the above chart, a man's head is 23-24", so let's split the difference - 23.5" divided by 3.14 is 7.48", which is the diameter of the circle you need to start a basic top-down hat in whatever yarn or hook you are using.

You'd want to make it in SC for sturdiness.  Chain 2, make 6 sc in the first chain made.

rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around - put a bobby pin or some sort of stitch marker (a short length of contrasting yarn works) in the first stitch. You should have 12 sts at this point.

rnd 3: 1 sc in the first sc, 2 sc in the next - repeat around (18) <that's the count of the stitches you should have at the end of the round. 

rnd 4: 1 sc in the first 2 sc, 2 sc in the next - repeat around (24) Notice you are adding 6 sts each round.

rnd 5: 1 sc in the first 3 sc, 2 sc in the next - repeat around (30) 

and so on, each round you add 1 more plain sc between repeats, so you'll have 36 sts after rnd 6, 42 after rnd 7, and so on.  Keep going until your circle is 7.48" or as close as you can get to that, and then work around without increasing - you'll have to use your judgement on the length.

I see that ReniC found some patterns for you as I was typing , yay!