What DC 2 means and how to go about doing this

Sunshine Crocheter

Question

I am working on making a crochet top. I know how to do a double crochet foundation and how to double crochet, all of which are required in the pattern. I don't know what dc2 in next stitch repeat 6 more times mean. I don't know how to do this and it is needed for the pattern 

5 answers to this question

"dc2 in next stitch, repeat 6 more times"

It means to put 2 DC in each of the next 7 stitches.  (doing a thing once, and repeating 6 more times, is 7)

If you are questioning putting more than 1 stitch into 1 stitch, this is not uncommon--like a shell stitch for example.  However, doubling the stitches like this could cause curved shape ; I could see doing this around a neckline perhaps? 

For your reference, the more conventional way to write this would have been to use an asterisk along the lines of "*dc2 in next stitch, repeat from *6 more times"

Here is a really useful link, you might want to bookmark it.  It is 1 of several pages on this site, see the menu on the right side for other pages.  On the page I linked, what I described is under the section "parentheses, asterisks and brackets".

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

"dc2 in next stitch, repeat 6 more times"

It means to put 2 DC in each of the next 7 stitches.  (doing a thing once, and repeating 6 more times, is 7)

If you are questioning putting more than 1 stitch into 1 stitch, this is not uncommon--like a shell stitch for example.  However, doubling the stitches like this could cause curved shape ; I could see doing this around a neckline perhaps? 

For your reference, the more conventional way to write this would have been to use an asterisk along the lines of "*dc2 in next stitch, repeat from *6 more times"

Here is a really useful link, you might want to bookmark it.  It is 1 of several pages on this site, see the menu on the right side for other pages.  On the page I linked, what I described is under the section "parentheses, asterisks and brackets"

So how do I go about making 2 DC in one stitch? The site u linked doesn't tell me that. It is a useful site but most of that information I know already. I just don't know how to dc2 in a stitch. That's what I'm having trouble with 

The link was to help with reading a pattern in general, and understanding the crochet 'rules' that a pattern may not spell out.

You can put a LOT of stitches into 1 stitch, I'm not sure how to explain it other than 'try it', the 1 stitch you are working into can accommodate many stitches.  "DC 2 into the next stitch"--you know how to make 1 DC into a stitch, right?  So, without moving to the next empty stitch, make another DC right next to the other one you just made, in the same stitch you made the first one into.  

Shell stitches, for example, have no less than 3 stitches into 1 stitch.  Or popcorn stitches, or clusters, or a whole bunch of of other decorative stitches.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much! I finally found a site that said it was also called increase stitch. Once I knew this I could go to YouTube and find a video. Thanks so much for putting up with this new Crocheter! I definitely found the site interesting and valuable and bookmarked for future use! Thanks again for all your help!