What’s the best type of yarn to use while making crochet bags

Ayaa

Question

I’m trying to make crochet bags and hats to sell and I made a tote bag as a demo to see what type of yarn is the best, I used a 55% cotton to 45% acrylic blend and the yarn is pretty thin (3.3mm) and the bag is very light but it feels durable I just feel like I can do better so I went to a diff yarn store today and they told me to use a diff type of yarn (it’s VERY plasticy and doesn’t feel like it’ll be a good material to work with) but I’ll try it out and make a diff type of bag to see what’s more durable I just needed to know what the professionals thought!  

1 answer to this question

I'm late to answering this, but it depends on what you mean by 'bag'.  If you mean a purse that you would want to be sturdy and hold your wallet and whatnot, I would recommend the stuff that is probably what the clerk recommended that was 'stiff and plastic-y' which is crochet nylon.  What you don't want for a purse is something soft and fluffy, it's going to pill and get nasty-looking really quick. I you think about it, if you went to a store to pick out a purse, you'd probably pick real or fake leather, or tightly woven, stiff fabric, right?

The only other thing I'd consider is a large format mercerized cotton, like size 3 thread weight (thread is on a different scale than yarn weight, just to be confusing--like typical doily thread, but thicker);  or something like Paton's Grace, which is a US 4 'worsted' weight mercerized yarn.

edited to add, here is 1 link with several mercerized choices, all different sizes from yarn to doily thread but is a place to start to note brands/styles available of mercerized cotton.  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1