How to fix uneven tension without restarting?

Alexcantthink

Question

Hello! I’m a beginner crocheter and I’m crocheting a giant blanket, it’s going great but I realized that my tension has been inconsistent throughout the piece creating a sort of bubbling effect in some places. Is it possible to fix this without completely restarting? It’s a giant blanket and I really wanted to get it finished soon! (It’s a gift for my mom, she won’t care about the quality but I want it to be nice for her)

image.thumb.jpg.6cc5a0c759f720dfc2c424e6d1cd7338.jpg

6 answers to this question

Besides counting your stitches stop periodically and measure your current row and compare it to your first row.  This will help you catch if your tension has varied too much.  Mine tends to get tighter the longer I work.  Oh and another thing be careful and support it as you work on it as the weight of it doesnt stretch it out.  

Did you use the hook size recommended for the yarn?  You might also want to try a larger hook----do a practice run and make a 12 inch square, making sure each row has same number of stitches.  If it looks ok pull it out and start your afghan.

There is no easy fast fix.  Best thing is to pull it apart and start over unless you dont mind giving it to your mom as is.

What is going on in the upper left side?  It looks like you worked along the side?  I dont think its necessarily a tension thing but a decreasing/increasing number of stitches thing.  The best advice I can give new crocheters is count, count, count.  Its best to count the number of stitches at the end of each row so you can fix it then instead of having to pull out several rows.  Sadly to this day I dont always follow my own advice because I have done this for years and I know where the first and last stitch goes----- famous last words.  Its easy to not get your first and last stitches made in the right place.

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/

And is a plushie bulky yarn?  It can be frustrating to work with because its often harder to see where stitches are supposed to be worked and some of it is difficult and unforgiving to pull  out.

Thanks so much Brenda! I’ll probably take your advise and start over, counting is a habit I need to get into. I couldn’t figure out how reply to your comment itself so I hope you see this because I really appreciate the feed back! When I first started this project I sort of just dove in, I got way in over my head! Thanks again!

Replying here like you did is just fine.

Dont feel bad about pulling it out.  I have pulled out so many stitches in my lifetime that they probably would make an afghan large enough to cover a big house.  

Haha! I’m glad I don’t have a specific time limit or something for this! Pulling it out is definitely a little stressing but I’d rather make something I’m proud of rather than something I tolerate. :)

Edited by Alexcantthink

I took your advise and I’m feeling way more confident about it now! I did that 12” square and double checked my hook, I was using a hook that was way too small! I don’t actually have a hook the right size so I’m using my closest one. Unfortunately it’s getting late here so I can’t start on the blanket yet but I can’t wait to do it first thing tomorrow!