Stumped On Tank Top

annierannie

Question

I've tried to figure this out but can't seem to make sense of it. This will be my first "big" garmet pattern if I get an understanding. So frustrating since I found the pattern in "Knitting and Crocheting for Dummies"  https://www.dummies.com/article/home-auto-hobbies/crafts/knitting-crocheting/how-to-crochet-a-tank-top-with-shell-stitch-197715/

Making the XL. I have the first part Top's Back finished and am beginning on the Shape the back's armholes pattern reads: 

Right side has 15 full shells

"Next Row (right side): Sl st to center dc of first (first, first, second, second) shell, ch 1, sc in dc, work in established pat across to within last 1 (1, 1, 2, 2) shell(s), sc in center dc of shell (9 [10, 11, 10, 11] shells), turn, leaving rem sts unworked.

Work even in established pat for 13 (13, 13, 15, 15) more rows"

This is what I've done. Starting on the right side  sl st to center dc of second shell, ch 1 (from the sl st) Question 1: then sc in the same st as the sl st, ch 1 or next dc in that shell??

going on: work in established pattern to within last 2 shells, sc in center dc of shell (11) shells, turn leaving rem st unworked

after I figure out where to place my sc and move on to work in est pat. What is my next move? start from beginning? Sl st to center dc of (second) shell or ?

After leaving remaining sts unworked, do I turn? If yes, do I simply do what the pattern says? or leave off and start at the beginning again.

I'd appreciate any help or if you have a good video example that is very similar to this?  I looked up several but couldn't seem to find what I thought it would be.

Thank you for any help.

2 answers to this question

Copying so I don't have to scroll--"Next Row (right side): Sl st to center dc of first (first, first, second, second) shell, ch 1, sc in dc, work in established pat across to within last 1 (1, 1, 2, 2) shell(s), sc in center dc of shell (9 [10, 11, 10, 11] shells), turn, leaving rem sts unworked.

Question 1 - patterns like this are usually symmetrical in my experience.  The end of the row ends with a SC in the center DC of a specific shell (the underlined part), so I'd tend to assume the row would start with a stitch in the center DC of the specified shell.  You have 2 choices:  slst to (and into) the DC specified for your size, and chain 1, and sc in the same spot - or - you could slst to the stitch before the center DC of the shell, chain 1, and sc in the next stitch.  The first would make a more abrupt start of the next row (and be a tiny bit bulkier), the second would keep the same stitch count and a (tiny) transition to the next row.  

Question 2 - yes you are working 'flat' in rows so you will still be turning.  The reason some stitches are unworked at each end - look at the diagram - they form the underarm opening, so it fits your body better (doesn't bind at the armhole) and is not just a slit.

• Like 1