My first scrumble!

Cuddlefish

After a couple of attempts at putting all the bits together, I think I finally got the hang of it. It's not big, but I like it. :yay

scrumble13mg.jpg

Edit: The first upload doesn't seem to be working all the time. So I've included this other upload of the same file.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5682/scrumble19vq.jpg

He, those bullions take ages, I have to lift most of them off the hook one at a time. It's fun to experiment, though.

Thanks. :)

There is a little tool that fits on the end of your finger like a dull needle maybe that would help you lift them up to get the hook through.

I do like your scrumble and free form is addictive such a great way to use up the bits.

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

Interesting, I have never seen it I think, but I'll be looking for it. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

I started doing it with two hooks lying head to toe of each other, so that when I pull the final thread through the whole stitch, the second hook lifts the loops and blocks the head of the first hook so the thread doesn't fall off, it actually made the bullions much more even. But it only works at a certain size (it seems), if the hooks are too small it's not a help. Anyway, I'm not in a hurry, so for now it's still worth the trouble.

There is a little tool that fits on the end of your finger like a dull needle maybe that would help you lift them up to get the hook through.

I do like your scrumble and free form is addictive such a great way to use up the bits.

Deb

http://www.dudleyspinner.com/

Now I'm tempted!:hook The colors and shapes are so pretty! Will you be making anything specific with it?

Thanks for the nice comment. I'd like to try to make it a scarf. :)

Very pretty! Love the color scheme!:clap

I am *trying* freeform, and I dont like the way my scumbles are looking. Mostly b/c my bullions kind of suck excuse my french.

So you take a smaller hook/needle and use that to help draw thru the loops?

Thats a GREAT idea!

*leaves work early to crochet*

~Chicki

Thanks. It's difficult to explain, but I wind the thread around both hooks at the same time, get the thread that's supposed to be pulled through caught inbetween the two, and it goes through nicely. It still takes some practice, but I think it's easier. :)

Thanks. It's difficult to explain, but I wind the thread around both hooks at the same time, get the thread that's supposed to be pulled through caught inbetween the two, and it goes through nicely. It still takes some practice, but I think it's easier. :)

I'm trying to understand this.:P Sorry to be dense!

Does this mean that you use the hook that you're crocheting with, plus another along side? Is the extra one smaller? Which one of the 2 hooks do you use to pull the thread through?

The extra hook is a bit smaller than the one I'm crocheting with. I hold them both as one hook, one facing the right way, one with the bottom pointing forward, the end stopping right under the hook of the other one. They have to both be inside the loop. (It's easier if they both have a bit of flat surface, I haven't tried it woth completely round ones). Then I wind the thread around the both of them, as many times as I need. Then I stick them through the middle of the circle, the tip of the crocheting one extended a little bit, yarn over, pull through, make sure the yarn goes between the two hooks, I push the extra down to the hook, they have to be 'closed' with the yarn stuck in between them, a bit like chopsticks. Then I pull through.

I don't know if I'm explaining it the best way right now, I'm getting sleepy. :lol

Anyway, this is the progress my little scrumble has seen since it was joined with the bigger one. Somehow it looks better in real life. Hrm.

scrumblestep27fy.jpg

Thank you. :)

I already found something I'd explained wrong, I've edited it now. So if anyone is trying to do what I said before, they should read it again. :lol Sorry. :blush

Your srumbling is gorgeous well done! can i suggest if you know someone who does machine knitting or a shop you can get supplies for it from ,that you buy a machine knitters hook. I don't know if it has a special name or not, but it is like a Latch Hook only finer. I was taught to do bullion stitch using one and the beauty is because of the Latch part you can pull your yarn through much easier. I hope i've described it well enough for you, if you can get one give it a try.

You have really taken to the freeform, your scarf is so beautiful and the colors match your first skirt you made. I totally get what you are saying about the 2 hooks to do the bullion stitch, but the latch hook idea really sounds good too!!

If you lined your scarf with a piece of fleece it would be beautiful, soft on the skin and toasty warm, just a thought since you don't have to hem fleece :hook

I already posted this somewhere else, but I guess I ought to put the pic of the finished scarf in this thread too. Thanks for all the nice comments. :hug

freeformhalstrklde16hi.jpg

Archived