Quick Question on Pattern meaning

Ell

Question

Hi There 

I'm about to start a new section of the pattern and I'm really stumped on what it means : (UK terms)

ROW 1: Work 3 ch (= 1 tr) in first dc, 1 tr in each of the next 8 dc, * skip 2 dc, 1 tr in each of the next 9 dc, 3 ch, 1 tr in each of the next 9 dc *, repeat from *-* 8-9-10-11-13-15 more times, skip 2 dc, 1 tr in each of the last 9 dc = 
180-198-216-234-270-306 tr.

I understand the majority of the instruction but its just the start, 'Work 3 ch (= 1 tr) in first dc'  - what does this mean? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you 

11 answers to this question

It means to chain 3 to start your row and that when you are counting the number of stitches for the row you count the chain 3 as 1 tr.  Some patterns count the turning chain as a stitch.  Others do not.

^ What Bgs said.  "No" on your second question, if you chain 3, then Tr in the stitch it says to, the chain and the Tr are 'attached'; the Tr is made immediately after the last of the 3 chains.  The chain 3 'pretends' to be a Tr, so it is really no different than making 2 Tr next to each other, they would be attached, right?

Comment:  NORMALLY, because the turning chain is understood to 'take the place' of the first stitch (except for UK DC, and sometimes UK HTR), you SKIP the first stitch after turning, because the chain is counted as if it was in that spot but it really sitting out side of that spot (I hope I'm not confusing you more).  I think your pattern would have been a little clearer if it had moved the ending parenthesis as follows: "ROW 1: Work 3 ch (= 1 tr in first dc)," 

Thank you both so so much, this is incredibly helpful! The next row is starting by 3ch + 1tr in first tr - I would be right to say that's to increase the number of stitches? Its a great feeling when the penny drops and you learn something new! 

Typically, yes, that would be an increase.  Is this something that is supposed to decrease on both sides?  Did you increase at the far end?

On your row 1, per the pattern you should have ended with "180-198-216-234-270-306 tr", which is the stitch count for the row for each of the 6 sizes given on your pattern; in other words, if you were working the third size, you should have 216 stitches), so you can count to double-check that you are on track.

This was on the link Bgs gave I'm sure, but make sure when a turning chain counts as a stitch, that at the end of the next row, when you come to the initial turning chain of the row below, that you stitch into the topmost chain of it, which the pattern would expect you to do (unless it specifically says to do something else - it would expect you to use the turning chain unless it specifically said something else.

Yes, I am attempting to make a skirt so the increases have been even on both ends. thank you so much for all your help. 

There is one issue I have now come to find (promise this will be the last one!) if you could offer any advise on please? The pattern has been working back and forth for a while and is now changing to be in the round. 

Piece now measures approx. 11-12-12-13-13-14 cm. Vent ends here, work next row as follows: 3 ch + 1 tr in first tr, 2 tr in next tr, 1 tr in each of the next 6 tr, * skip 4 tr, 1 tr in each of the next 8 tr, 2 tr in ch-loop, 3 ch, 2 tr in same ch-loop, 1 tr in each of the next 8 tr *, repeat from *-* 8-9-10-11-13-15 more times, skip 4 tr, 1 tr in each of the next 6 tr, 2 tr in each of the last 2 tr on round, 3 ch, 1 sl st in 3rd ch from beg of round = 200-220-240-260-300-340 tr.

Now, I have moved onto the next round as instructed : 

Work next round as follows - * 1 tr in each of the first 8 tr, skip 4 tr, 1 tr in each of the next 8 tr, 2 tr in ch-loop, 3 ch, 2 tr in same ch-loop *, repeat from *-* the entire round. 

That's been all okay, I have ended on 200 tr as before, however as I sl st into the 1st tr at the beginning of the row, to complete the round and start the next one,  I only have 8tr to work with next, so the repeat of the pattern doesn't work and I can't figure out what to do?  its like the last 2tr in the chain loop have completed the angle for the previous row but now sl st in the first stitch, I am not at the start to complete the next round. Does that make sense? 

Thank you! 

I am having a hard time picturing what is going on ---- a photo might help us see it.  

Sometimes in patterns you have to sl st to join and then sl st across other stitches to get you to the right place to actually start your round but the pattern usually tells you.

I agree with Bgs, when I was learning to crochet (pre-internet, and no one handy to ask), looking the pattern photo answered a lot of questions for me.

How does the vent fit in?  You are increasing, so I assumed you were working the skirt waist down, but a vent normally is at the hem of a narrow skirt.  Or is the vent a slit at the top that will later have a zipper or buttons to secure at the waist?  That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

A comment: crochet fabric looks different when worked same side facing (like a tube shape, where the stiches are all 'front facing' on 1 side and 'back side facing' on the other) than it does worked worked in turned rows, where fronts and backs of stitches alternate.  If you switch from turning in rows waist to vent-end, then stop turning each row to work in rounds same side facing, it is going to look odd.  So I am going to guess at an answer to your question, by asking a question--do the pattern stitches 'fit  together better' with the stitches that went before, if you work in turned rounds?  In other words, slip stitch the last stitch to the first after the vent, chain up, and TURN to work back the way you came?

Certainly, thank you for this. 

Firstly here is the pattern I am trying to make;

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5864&cid=19&fbclid=IwAR0O7WofyXrsiFu3BRo7AuL5SkaoxVMHv7AOBzphCCP3VhPF-88a7Z8VB0s

Granny Square you were right in that the vent is at the top and will attach buttons later. I have thought about the right/wrong side when joining to go in to round, Hopefully to a non trained crochet eye they won't notice! 

Here are pictures to explain my problem clearer: 

1) Ive finished the round where it becomes working in the round of by 3 ch, 1 sl st in 3rd ch from beg of round as instructed. 

1.thumb.jpeg.3c3a7c805f5b73334ffd9c16ac5647d6.jpeg

2) I'vet then completed the next instruction  - * 1 tr in each of the first 8 tr, skip 4 tr, 1 tr in each of the next 8 tr, 2 tr in ch-loop, 3 ch, 2 tr in same ch-loop *, repeat from *-* the entire round. 

2.thumb.jpeg.0ac42e8f04d5b356f3d3ff6c802664cb.jpeg

3) Ive finished the round with 1 sl st in 3rd ch from beg of round as instructed. 

3.thumb.jpeg.3cfdfb948589a42b612a7451ae9df17c.jpeg

4) Ive 3ch to start the next round but only have 8tr to use so I can't follow the instruction given - Continue in the round with zigzag pattern.

* 1 tr in each of the first 8 tr, skip 4 tr, 1 tr in each of the next 8 tr, 2 tr in ch-loop, 3 ch, 2 tr in same ch-loop *, repeat from *-* the entire round.

4.thumb.jpeg.daf1173f53caa5e588618a924a974998.jpeg

Have I messed up or do I need to ignore the instruction and only do 6tr to start so I skip 4 at the right place? 

Edited by Ell

Ripples can be challenging.  Stitch placement is extremely important.  The peaks and valleys should line up in perfect rows.  I think I see a place that might be off but it might be the photo angle or way its laying.

If the peaks and valleys are lining up you want to continue with them in the same place so you would do the 6 to get to your first valley and continue around in pattern.  Make your last peak.  Then you make 2 more stitches to get back to your first stitch.  The 2 stitches along with your first 6 would be 8 stitches.  

Granny Square am I on the right track?