Pinwheel Doily

Scoop183

Pinwheel Doily I did a while back with light blue thread from a free pattern I found. Pretty easy pattern from what I recall but it turned out pretty nice I think. 

I have some black thread I think I might try it with next time.

20220105_194754.jpg

• Like 1

After a few rounds I wasn't sure if this would work in black.  At about 75% done and this pattern in black isn't my fave but it's OK.  I'm happier with it now than I was earlier.

Let's see how I feel about after it's completed.

4 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

They are both very pretty.  I can see that in many colors for the seasons.

I agree.  It's such a classic design it can be made so many colors and look good.  👍

Those are beautiful.  I love doilies.  My  v. first project as a teenager was a doily made from thin thread  and a teeny metal hook.   I struggled so much.  The "old" woman (she was all of 65) who taught me - she never made anything else but doilies with skinny thread,  and it didn't occur to her (I guess) that a beginner might do well to start out with larger thread and hook. LOL!  

The black one looks great Scoop183!

Horsy, my grandmother taught me how to embroider when I was about 6 or 7, with tiny needle and tiny embroidery floss and tiny stitches, which I didn't find difficult (it probably never occurred to me that it might be, so I fearlessly plowed on I guess).  When she passed away I was in high school, and had just learned to crochet (using yarn) from a friend's mom; I ended up with Gram's old doily books and steel hooks (and my mom sent away for more doily books for a Christmas present that year!).  Anyway, what I'm getting at is I wonder if learning to embroider with a tiny needle and tiny stitches at a young age helped me to get the hang of crocheting with tiny hooks and thread right off the bat .  

When I was working I didn't do much crocheting (commuting 3+ hours a day to work in Silicon Valley doesn't give you much free time!). When I retired thread projects are what I mostly reverted back to  ... I guess I'm that 'old woman' now!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow I missed your reply until just now Horsy, sorry...no, not an exec, the traffic was just that bad!  My furthest commute was 20 miles away, shortest was 10, but it was gridlock especially in the evenings.  In the evenings I averaged about 10 miles per hour, mostly stopped or just creeping.

A little 'funny', the best thing about the movie LA LA Land (to me) was the first scene, the traffic was exactly like this on freeways and surface streets (not moving most of the time) but it would have been much easier to endure if everyone got out and sang and danced along the way!  :lol