My progress so far.

So I have been crochting for about a month. I still have a lot to learn. I have noticed that the sizes of some of the granny squares I have made are different. I assume this is because my tension is changing the more I practice. I find that the simple slip stitch seems to be the one giving the most problems. Maybe I need to find a slip stitch project and practice on that. The other problem I seem to have is finding the right stitch to work into, usually at the end of a round. But I think I can solve that one by using stitch markers before I start the round. A friend gave me 10 balls of yarn (I think it's good stuff) but I don't know what to do with it. I doubt I'm ready to tackle any kind of garment unless I try a scarf or something. Any suggestion would be welcome.

I would suggest looking at a video to make sure you are doing a slip stitch correctly.  It's never a bad idea to practice a stitch but slip stitch is usually an add on not a solo project.

I agree if you can't find your starting stitch than using a marker is a great idea.  You will need to practice this for projects that aren't joined at the end of rows anyways so its good practice.

One other suggestion is to use a tape measure.  As you create the rows are all 4 sides the same measurement.  If not go back and check to see why.  Is the stitch count the same on each side?  Did you substitute a hdc for a dc or something of that nature.  It happens and it can throw off the size of the square.

Are you using the same hook for each square.  I substituted my size 7 hook for my I hook the other day as they are almost the same color.  It does make a difference.

I think it's probably not unusual for new crocheters' tension to wander when they are brand new at it, it will settle in with time.  When I was new, way before the internet and I didn't have anyone to guide me after an initial lesson, I realized on my own that I was crocheting really tightly and it was due to forming stitches right at the tip of my (tapered) hook, so I focused on shoving the stitch back farther up the shaft, which is the part that 'sizes' the stitch.  (If you are using Bates hooks or another 'inline' (non tapered) hook, this doesn't apply, but 'practice makes better' (if not perfect) re: your stitch tension setting down.

Also - the yarn may make a difference, if you are mixing colors or yarn brands in your squares.  Yarn 'sizes' are a range, not an absolute, and each yarn size is measured in a range of wraps per inch.  Link to US yarn weight categories.

Slip stitches - they are the simplest stitch to make, but I find I make mine rather tighter than the rest of my stitches if I'm on autopilot, so if I know I'm going to stitch into them for some reason, I try to focus on that not happening.  Baily4 is right, you are going to have to look hard to find a 100% slip stitch project, but they do exist; it's also called Bosnian crochet or shepherd's knitting (to expand your chances of finding projects).

• Like 1

I found a video on slip stitching and other nonstandard stitches (for lack of a better word).  It seems that in order to facilitate the all- slipstitching projects you would have to use either a shepherd type hook or a large, thick handled hook such as a grey Aero hook (if I recall right).  

I don't think the flat hook is necessary, I've made only 1 slip stitch project so not an expert -- however it did call for a regular hook on the larger end of the scale for the yarn size (like maybe a J or K hook for worsted weight.)   Unless the flat hook makes it easier somehow?  :think 

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Watching crochet tutorial videos has it's ups and downs. The very first one I watched the person held the work with her thumb and middle finger while the yarn went over the forefinger. Young lady had nimble fingers and it worked well for her. I find this did not go so well for me and now I hold the work with my thumb and forefinger and the yarn goes between my middle and ring finger. Most video's I watch people seem to do things slightly different so it's just a matter of finding what works for me, I guess. Thanks.

• Like 1