ISO exact or similar pattern to my blanket

mlangan19

Question

I am in search of the exact pattern or one very similar to my beloved baby blanket. I am in the process of trying to find someone to recreate my blanket for me. I received the blanket when I was born and have loved it very much for 22 years. After all these years of love I am in need of a new one which saddens me.

Since I have no information on the blanket besides what it looks like I cannot provide any ideas or comments about potential patterns . 

Information about blanket:

I believe it is crochet
It has tassels/fringe on the borders
It looks almost like the pattern created some patchwork or framing affect.
Has raised bumps that create heart designs.

Thank you so much

20220126_100658.jpg

20220126_100703.jpg

20220126_100704.jpg

20220126_100715.jpg

4 answers to this question

Oh my goodness, it was certainly well loved. 

It looks like it was done in thread (maybe a little bigger than #10 'doily' cotton), and I think it is knit, not crochet, and I suspect it is machine- made -- I have a similar-ish 'sofa throw' that I bought a JC Penny (at least 20 years ago, so about as old as your blanket, also not as worn), not the specific heart pattern but the material looks pretty close to your item (it also has a fringe, and looks about the same thread thickness and color).  

This doesn't mean that it couldn't have been hand knit, but I doubt it (would be a lot of work to hand knit a big blanket with that thin thread).  It also doesn't mean that a reasonable facsimile can't be made in crochet BUT it's doubtful you'll find any volunteers to make a blanket in thread.  I'm not volunteering to make a blanket that's a huge project), however I'll see if I can find a similar pattern.

Similar, but an outline of a heart not 'filled in' like yours.  It uses a yarn that is 1 size thinner than typical blanket yarn (It is 1 size smaller than Red Heart Super Saver, if you are familiar with that, although you can use RHSS, it will just make bigger squares.  This is almost the same.

Less similar, hearts are formed by openwork background contrast.  Uses same weight as previous pattern (US weight #3)

These are the only ones I found where the heart was formed by texture, the rest were a flat square where the heart was in a contrast color to the background of the square.  Neither of these 2 look tremendously difficult, have you considered learning to crochet yourself?  (pssst, we help beginners with newbie questions all the time here... :hook   )

Here is one similar to yours on Ebay.

Here is a pattern for squares similar to the blanket above.

Here is an openwork heart - Not as open as your blanket, but still nice in a granny square type of stitch.
Once you have the heart centers, you can put this type of 'filler stitch,' around them. It will not be as delicate as your original, which was factory produced on a loom, but you can make a nice "lovey," blanket to see you through many more years.

Here is another motif that would make a good afghan. And here is a similar mesh square pattern, with the heart stitch lines going the opposite direction.

I hope this is of some help to you!
~Moz

Mlangan19, that existing one referenced above by Moz is probably your best bet.  It's not exactly the same as yours, but close in concept, and it's a finished blanket, and the price is VERY reasonable.  The maker is probably making a couple of $ an hour (at most) on her labor if you calculate the hours put into it, plus recouping the material cost.