Hi , New here ...

EurasiaRue

Hi, to all you wonderful  people ❤,  I am excited to be here 😊. Any suggestions on how to make a California King size blanket .It seems everyone has a different ideal of what the size it  should be and how many stitches. I know it's a lot and time consuming but I really want to make one  I figure if I start now it might be done by the end of the year 😆. If you don't mind some one guide me in the right direction I only been a crocheter for two years but I do love it and I am always eager to learn more.Thanks in advance. 

You need to decide the dimensions you want.  Then you need to decide what pattern to use or the stitch.  The weight yarn, hook size, and your personal tension all will all affect the number of stitches it takes to meet the dimensions you want.  Thats why many patterns recommend checking your gauge.  I dont enjoy making afghans that large.   They are so heavy.  Its easy to stretch them out of shape depending how they get picked up and if you dont support it properly it can stretch out of shape while working on it.   

Hello from Mississippi!

I agree with Brenda, that size blanket is going to be very heavy. You'll also need to decide if you are making it the size of the top surface of the mattress or if you want it to hang over the sides. This site talks about blanket sizes and how to do the math on beginning chains depending on your stitch pattern's repeat size.

https://theunraveledmitten.com/2017/02/24/crochet-blanket-size-chart/

I have trouble with sizing too. I've learned to make a practice square in the stitch I like with the yarn and hook I want to use. I do a few rows and measure. Then I try to do the math to get the length and width I want. I am a relatively new crocheter, but my grandma said this method was fine to use while I learn. 

Good luck! I'm working on a ripple blanket that will cover a twin size bed.