Need help understanding this crochet term

EmmaVilleneuve

Question

Hi everyone! 

I’m currently trying to follow a YouTube video on making a crochet alligator and I’m having trouble understanding this term.

im currently making a row of 18 sc. but for the next row, this is the term I have to follow:

6sc, 4 [2sc, inc] 

it says it finishes into 22 stitches in total.

if anybody can help, I’d appreciate it so much! Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by EmmaVilleneuve

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

You are starting with 18 sts in front of you from the prior row, then you do "6sc, 4 [2sc, inc]", and you will end up adding 4 sts for a total of 22.

If a pattern says 6 sc (or any number of any stitch), and does not say where to put them, it means 1 stitch into 1 stitch.

"4 [2sc, inc]" is unusually worded.  It could mean 2 things; '2sc, inc' makes 4 stitches, but I think it means *2sc, inc -- a total of 4 times (the * indicates the start of a repeat)

So to bring it all together:

6 stitches uses and creates 6 stitches out of the 18 we are starting with, leaving 12We should be creating 16 more stitches. to get to 22.

"2 sc, inc", done once, uses 3 stitches and creates 4.  done 4 times uses 12 stitches (yay!) and creates 16.  Yay again!  We now have 22 stitches.

I typed the above doing the math as I went, (not knowing if it would work, glad it did, hence the yays!) but I wanted to show my thought process for figuring out what this pattern is trying to say.  When I was a new crocheter I didn't have anyone handy to ask, and this was way before the internet, so I learned to think thru the logical possibilities to get to the right 'end'.  In this case you were lucky the pattern gave you the end stitch counts you needed to match.

44 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the ville!

You are starting with 18 sts in front of you from the prior row, then you do "6sc, 4 [2sc, inc]", and you will end up adding 4 sts for a total of 22.

If a pattern says 6 sc (or any number of any stitch), and does not say where to put them, it means 1 stitch into 1 stitch.

"4 [2sc, inc]" is unusually worded.  It could mean 2 things; '2sc, inc' makes 4 stitches, but I think it means *2sc, inc -- a total of 4 times (the * indicates the start of a repeat)

So to bring it all together:

6 stitches uses and creates 6 stitches out of the 18 we are starting with, leaving 12We should be creating 16 more stitches. to get to 22.

"2 sc, inc", done once, uses 3 stitches and creates 4.  done 4 times uses 12 stitches (yay!) and creates 16.  Yay again!  We now have 22 stitches.

I typed the above doing the math as I went, (not knowing if it would work, glad it did, hence the yays!) but I wanted to show my thought process for figuring out what this pattern is trying to say.  When I was a new crocheter I didn't have anyone handy to ask, and this was way before the internet, so I learned to think thru the logical possibilities to get to the right 'end'.  In this case you were lucky the pattern gave you the end stitch counts you needed to match.

👍