What is your favorite hand moisturizer in the winter?

hookd1989

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really, really hate lotions and hand creams. I just can NOT stand the way they feel on my hands. ICK!

Sadly, the older I get the dryer my hands have started to feel during the winter. I only use it when I'm desperate. Lol! :yuck

The vaseline stuff (it is a cream but covers like vaseline - feels slippery on your hands but doesn't leave greasy marks on anything), bath & body works products all the time, and I use vicks vaporub on trouble (cracked or super dry) spots overnight. Works really well and staves off any potential infections when I can't keep my skin moist enough and the skin does split and do other nasty stuff.

St Ives! I love the Swiss Vanilla, and it moisturezes well enough for my superdry skin but doesn't leave me sticky or greasy. My skin is so dry, I bath with their bodywash, Fresh H2O is AWSOME..then put on baby oil right in the shower, THEN use lotion a couple times a day...more on hands.

I have lots of problems with dry flaking skin particularly around my nailbeds, go figure! That yarn unerringly finds it, it's so annoying to have your yarn snagging on your fingers constantly when you're trying to work it!

So far, the best product I've found to combat it is Healing Garden's Intensive Hand Creme. I was on a bit of frantic search for it just Monday, as my tube had been squeezed almost totally dry and I hadn't seen it at Walgreens where I had purchased it originally. A google search revealed that K-Mart also had it, and I found a good supply of it there, whew!

This stuff is pretty thick, but it absorbs fairly quickly (at least it does on my camel hands). After the initial repeated applications (about 3 in an hour :eek), that day, my skin started to settle down, and I now only have to apply it a couple of times a day. It's also good to slather it on heavily just before bed and let it do it's thing overnight. It has a nice, gentle frangrance, not overpowering, which I also like.

Probably more than you needed to know, lol!

I use Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream found in most drug stores.

What do you like?

200.jpg

I like Nivea hand cream - it absorbs quickly and stays with you pretty well. When I had hand surgery, I was supposed to rub hand cream on my scar vigorously to de-sensitize it, and I used Eucerin, but it is a little heavier and absorbs more slowly (which is what they wanted me to use). It sure made my hands soft and my nails even started to grow! My cuticles looked like a 21 yr. old's!! Of course I was putting in on several times a day. Now I'm lucky if I slap on hand lotion once a day. My hands look terrible! My thumbnail corner is cracking already and so sore!! If I could just remember to make myself use that cream twice a day.... :irk:remember

Anything that smells good!!:) I love bath and body works. For just regular lotion, I buy whatevers on sale at the time.

I really, really hate lotions and hand creams. I just can NOT stand the way they feel on my hands. ICK!

Sadly, the older I get the dryer my hands have started to feel during the winter. I only use it when I'm desperate. Lol! :yuck

You should try Aveeno hand lotion- it absorbs quickly and you can't even feel it. you can get un-scented, too. I like it real well.

I hate lotions & creams. Aside from them being either sticky or slick, I sometimes have a problem with frangrances. That said, :D I use TerraNova's shea butter cream when neccesary. It is almost a solid. I just run my fingertips over it & rub my hands together. You think you aren't getting any, but it clears up those rough spots around my nails in just a couple days.

Alosha

I like to use pure shea butter. A lot of lotions nowdays say they have shea in it, but nothing's better than the real thing. Especially if you have incredibly dry skin. It's a bit thick and solid at first, you have to warm it up in your hands before applying it. I usually find it in the ethnic section of Wal Mart and similar places.

I have precription lotion for my face and my legs (I hate dry skin and slight rosacia! :P ) - but the stuff for my legs has salicyclic acid in it, which means I have to wash my hands right after putting it on.... so hand wise, I usuall end up with the St. Ives Fresh H20 (which I agree is great!) or Lubriderm unscented.

Vaseline Intensive care with Aloe Vera- (in the green bottle). It absorbs nicely so my hands aren't greasy and the smell isn't over-powering. Works great!

Now if I could just find something for the garlic smell...:P

I use a lotion called "Renew" by a company called Melaleuca. My hands used to crack and bleed every winter, but now they don't! My daughter used to have severe skin problems (bleeding rashes all over her body) and this is the only lotion that would clear her up. I can't use most other products, and I am so thankful I found this company and their products. :D

Until recently I only used Hemp lotion (Sally's Beauty Supply/$5 for a large pump bottle) or Key Lime lotion (Florida Keys/Key Lime Store/$10 for small bottle) but when I went to Apple Butter Making Days in Mt. Vernon, MO in October, I found this incredible lotion called "Faith" that is Vanilla Butter scented. It is to die for! It's not greasy at all and the smell is divine.

• 3 weeks later...

I try all kinds of different lotions and creams. The current favorite is Perlier Banana Velours. Smells great, rubs right in, and isn't greasy.

I got it on HSN.

My Mother passed down the trait for EXTREMELY dry hands to me, (Thanks MOM! LOL!) I use an intensive formula (can't remember the exact name) lotion made by gold bond. It goes on really thick and takes a while to absorb. I usually put it on before bed and wake up to a noticable difference. I've never noticed any greasy spots, but I try and not "touch" much until its absorbed.

Katie:cat

I like and use UDDERLY SMOOTH Udder Cream. In Canada, it is sold in Wal Mart and other stores. It is SUPERB. Works great, does not leave any oils, etc. on your projects. It used to be sold as Udder Cream only then Shennia Twain started touting it as not only a hand cream but facial, etc. and it has become a big seller here in Canada. I use it all year round but I especially require it in the winter months when it is so dry.

Try it - you will like it!:cheer

June

I use Aveeno daily moisturizing in general, especially now that it's winter and I'm having a lot of trouble with dry skin as a result of my tumor resection. When I have trouble with my hands I use the Burts Bees hand salve in the little tin, it works great!

I have incredibly dry skin. I keep a humidifier going in the winter, etc. etc. Lotions don't seem to help. I bought myself one of those Revlon hand-dip waxer things. It's great! I put baby oil on my hands and then dip my hands in the hot wax, put plastic over hands and then oven mitts (or something similar), keep them on for as long as you can (or until you really have to scratch your nose or something). It really helps if I do it once a week. Ask for this as a Santa gift!

Funny story: My mother has the same dry skin problem, so I bought her the same hand waxer Revlon thing. A little neighbor girl (5 years old) was visiting at my Mom's house while we were doing our "beauty hand thing" and she asked what we were doing, and my Mom (65 years old, and very beautiful by the way) said we were making ourselves beautiful and making our wrinkles go away. The little girl said, "Why don't you just dip your whole face in it?" :haha

• 2 weeks later...

Archived