Mandala Throw - Help “threading chains”

LARcrochet

Question

I am working on Herrschners Vintage Mandala Throw and am stuck on a part of the pattern. This is my first time doing a mandala. 

The pattern reads at the end of section two, round nine  “Before continuing, thread ch-sps tog in following order: Thread ch-7 sp on Rnd 2 through ch-5 sp on Rnd 1, thread ch-7 sp on Rnd 3 through Rnd 2, continue up through Rnd 10. Cross lps on Rnd 8 to create cable.”

I am at a loss of how to thread these? Do I just insert my hook through the spaces and pull up my yarn? Do I go through each one? Please help!

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville! 

What came to mind by your description made me think of a 'Jacob's Ladder' pattern.  I couldn't find it on the Herrschner's site BUT I found a reference on Ravelry (they are partly a database of patterns that can be found in books, magazines, and other sites, they don't sell patterns except those that members design).  So if my guess is right, I'm seeing something that looks like 'Jacobs Ladders' in the diamond shape outlines.

Do you knit?  If you do, making a Jacob's ladder is the same idea as fixing a dropped stitch, you 'chain it back up' over the 'ladder' (a gap between stitches with a horizontal thread where a stitch should be).  Here is a site with a video that shows how to do the crochet version.  In a nutshell, you make a fabric that is in rows, alternating several chains and several US DCs (the number can vary;this can also be done in rounds).  At the end, you grab the bottom chain in a column with your finger or hook, and 'chain up' the chain loops; when you are done lacing up all the ladders, at the top you'll connect everything so it won't unravel.

The pattern should explain how to do this, especially from a yarn company; is there an explanation of 'special stitches or terms' somewhere, usually before the pattern starts, or if it's in a book, they could all be in 1 chapter.

Edited by Granny Square