NCcountrygal

I have been thinking seeing if I can convert this knit doily to crochet in HDC since it has 8 segments in the center, and the graph is a 16 stitch repeat, I think that is the best fit for an increase scheme; maybe I'll finally give this a whirl.  I knit, can handle sock yarn but I don't think I want to knit with stiff #3 thread; I'd consider knitting this in worsted weight yarn as a baby blanket tho.  The edge would be easy, (hopefully) since the heart is  diagrammed.  

If anyone else wants to try this in crochet, to translate the heart diagram:

YO (the circles in the chart) a yarn over makes an eyelet in knitting, you'll want to instead chain 1, skip 1 stitch for a crochet eyelet--the eyelet circles are the only part of the diagram you will need to follow.

The /, \, and "peace signs"are decreases in knitting, ignore them; they are there because YOs behave in knitting, not only make an eyelet they also make an increase and you have to decrease to keep the count even.  Unlike crochet you can't skip a stitch (that would be a 'run', or a dropped stitch). 

Working with HDC in 8 segments what I'm pretty sure you WILL have to do is add an increase at 1 edge of every other repeat of the chart each round, to keep it flat, if you are working in HDC and increase by 8 each round.  Probably the best looking would be to continue the 8 eyelets increases in the center as 2 HDC into 1 stitch instead of an open eyelet.

Edited clarify what to use/ignore in the heart chart for crochet.

Edited by Granny Square

• 2 weeks later...