2022 Stashbusting CAL (CLOSED)

greyhoundgrandma

Mom and I went to Walmart and they had Red Heart Metallic in white, so I bought 2 (- 4). I made fudge for tonight then 2 more baby hats this afternoon and used a ball (+ 1). So with this mornings score I have 3 - 4 + 1 = 0. Win some, lose some :lol .

WTD: 0  YTD: + 35

:garden  HAPPY EASTER   :rabbit

Ellie 13

WTD scores for the week ending 4/16/22:

Gold Medal Winner: tie-- PBLKNP +2

Jayashiangel +2

Holding steady:

pineknott 0

Ellie 13 0

Shoot the Moon Winner: greyhoundgrandma -6

• Like 1

Been a little bit longer week for me I had an extra day off due to a doctor's appointment that I had to take off so I had more time to crochet.. was also able to dig around in my yarn closet for some of the older yarn that I don't really care for which is perfect for dog blankets....

Whipped up another pile of doggie blankets...

Hope everyone's week went well now I'm off to work the next 4 days....😭 You tend to get lazy when you've been off for a few days.....

WTD

12 balls = +12

2 skeins= + 4

This week I made 8 baby hats and 7 pocket prayer shawls. I used 3 balls and rolled a skein down (+ 4) :yay . Then friend asked me if I would make a toddler size afghan (for a 3 yo). I asked her what colors and showed her my stash. She saw 1/2 skein Monet and asked if it was possible to get more, so I got 2 more at Michael's (- 4). I'm going to sort out and get rid of all the useless little balls I have. So most of us seem to be coming up :lol .

WTD: 0   YTD: + 35

Ellie 13

6 hours ago, Ellie 13 said:

This week I made 8 baby hats and 7 pocket prayer shawls. I used 3 balls and rolled a skein down (+ 4) :yay . Then friend asked me if I would make a toddler size afghan (for a 3 yo). I asked her what colors and showed her my stash. She saw 1/2 skein Monet and asked if it was possible to get more, so I got 2 more at Michael's (- 4). I'm going to sort out and get rid of all the useless little balls I have. So most of us seem to be coming up :lol .

Ellie 13

Hey Ellie

I was curious at what you mean by useless little balls? Because sometimes the little balls are good for various small projects also depending on how much they are you can make smaller crafts... When all else fails you can chop them up and find an area in your yard to put them in something and birds can access and they will take them and use them for their nests... Or if you're looking to donate those to other people they may be interested in those small balls as well I was just considering what you considered useless?

Edited by Jayashiangel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jayashiangel said:

Hey Ellie

I was curious at what you mean by useless little balls? Because sometimes the little balls are good for various small projects also depending on how much they are you can make smaller crafts... When all else fails you can chop them up and find an area in your yard to put them in something and birds can access and they will take them and use them for their nests... Or if you're looking to donate those to other people they may be interested in those small balls as well I was just considering what you considered useless?

Have you actually put yarn scraps out for the birds? I did one year, in a suet basket, but ended up throwing them away at the end of the season when they weren't used. Any suggestions on placement or container? We often have a lot of spring rain, so maybe they were wet at the wrong time.

Personally I can't bear to throw out small balls. I'm sure with some it depends on how small the ball is, what color, and what kind of projects they usually do.

11 hours ago, Ellie 13 said:

Ellie 13

I always enjoy hearing what you've made each week. Your hooks are very busy.

WTD scores for the week ending 4/23/22:

Gold Medal Winner: Jayashiangel +16

Silver Medal Winner: PBLKNP +2

Holding steady:

Ellie 13 0

pineknott 0

greyhoundgrandma 0

No Shoot the Moon winner this week!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:15 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Have you actually put yarn scraps out for the birds? I did one year, in a suet basket, but ended up throwing them away at the end of the season when they weren't used. Any suggestions on placement or container? We often have a lot of spring rain, so maybe they were wet at the wrong time.

Personally I can't bear to throw out small balls. I'm sure with some it depends on how small the ball is, what color, and what kind of projects they usually do.

I have not personally but I've heard that other people have placed scraps out for birds...

However another idea is using the scraps to sew buttons on projects as well as if they're small strands you could always gather them and donate them to a local daycare they could use it for craft projects we used to do that all the time for craft projects

I confess there was a yarn purchase. I did use up one skein, but went to our LYS for Local Yarn Store day today and picked up 3 skeins of Universal Yarn Uptown Worsted. I’m going to make another small hoodie for our great-granddaughter—the first one has been a big hit! ❤️😎

So:

Stashbuster Total: WTD  -4  YTD  -10

This week I did use up two scrap balls ended up buying six small balls of yarn...+2 used -6 bought =-4?

I never thought I'd have to use math lol you know all the negatives and the positives and all that fun stuff when I when I grew up....

WTD scores for the week ending 4/30/22:

Gold Medal Winner: greyhoundgrandma +2

Holding steady:

pineknott 0

A tie for Shoot the Moon winner at -4: PBLKNP & Jayashiangel

Sorry I haven't been here in a while. My little balls are mostly 2 - 3 yards of odd colors. All together they were about a skein (5 oz. +/-). I live in an apartment building, so no leaving it for the birds. In the last couple of weeks, I've been working on a toddler size afghan that needs to be done by the end of Nov. at the latest (got about 1/3 of the squares done). A co-worker wanted a hat and afghan for a baby girl due in Sept. I got the hat done, but I'll need to get more pink and white :yarn for the afghan. I threw out the scraps (+2), used 2 balls (+2) and rolled a skein down (+1).  :cheer I finally got some points.

WTD:  + 5  YTD:  + 40

Ellie 13