2022 Stashbusting CAL (CLOSED)

greyhoundgrandma

I worked a lot this week so not a lot of :crocheting time. I made a couple more hats (16 total) and 5 pocket prayer shawls I used 3 small balls and a small skein (+ 5) :yay. My birthday's tomorrow, so my parents took me to lunch today. There's a Michael's in the same plaza as the Chinese place. Mom said she needed :yarn , and I had a $5 voucher, so we went in. I got 2 skeins Sugar & Cream cotton to make another purse (- 4). After they left, I started on the purse. I'm using 2 colors, so I rolled 1 skein down and started the second one (+ 1) :cheer.

WTD: + 2   YTD: + 17

Ellie 13

Scores for the week ending 2/12/22:

Three way tie for Gold Medal: Ellie 13 +2

PBLKNP +2

pineknott +2

greyhoundgrandma 0

No Shoot the Moon winner this week.

I’m going to wait to post…I’m still hoping to get through another skein!  I ended up giving the little Unicorn and blanket to my step-daughter for our great-granddaughter, and it was a big hit!  

5FE24244-F020-4CEF-916F-DC99FFC2EBFF.jpeg

F9332ACA-8BDC-4BB1-AD0B-D89531267B98.jpeg

Well, I didn’t get through my skein, so:

WTD = 0

I’m also going to start on a corner-to-corner afghan soon. I’m still trying to decipher the pattern, as it’s a bit different from how I’ve done other corner-to-corner afghans. 

:sheepjump

I haven't been here since the 12th. I don't see a lot of people playing the game anymore, what happened :think ? I did a lot of :crocheting . I was given a bag of tangled balls and partial skeins. I was told to toss what I can't use. I decided not to count anything, just what I kept. I took the partial skeins and good size balls, then tossed all the tangled stuff (- 7). I made 4 toddler size hats, 2 adult hats, 2 baby hats and a bunch of shamrock pins. I used 9 balls (+9) :yay . All that time and all I get is 2 points.

WTD: + 2   YTD: + 19

Ellie 13

I've never played and I'm still confused but let's go give it a try..

I used up this week..:think

Two full skeins & part of a leftover ball currently working on a frog project that my daughter did so I'm pulling the yarn apart so I'm rolling that basically two small balls.... As they're two different colors and tonight while I'm at work I'm planning to use those up by repurposing it to make a pet mat to donate...

While cleaning the shed my mom found more yarn... Not sure what's all in there yet but hate when that happens not... I love finding yarn... So I've got three totes of yarn in the shed in the future to check out...

Edited by Jayashiangel

yarn usage is picking up, have been asked to do some butterflies for Rene's church, one of their reg people is busy helping her sis getting her estate in order

its a bit hard to get back into it,I can't read a pattern to save my life, it took about six tries but I think I've got it now

WTD + 11 YTD + 44

13 hours ago, Jayashiangel said:

Two full skeins & part of a leftover ball currently working on a frog project that my daughter did so I'm pulling the yarn apart so I'm rolling that basically two small balls.... As they're two different colors and tonight while I'm at work I'm planning to use those up by repurposing it to make a pet mat to donate...

While cleaning the shed my mom found more yarn... Not sure what's all in there yet but hate when that happens not... I love finding yarn... So I've got three totes of yarn in the shed in the future to check out...

It can be a little confusing at first and may require reading thru the first post several times. The bottom line is what you use up is a + number and what you acquire is a - number. If there is confusion on frogged yarn or pieces of skeins/balls of old yarn, just remember to count it the same amount going in and going out. I find it easier to count any frogged yarn that's in a ball (even if it's huge) as 1, so I don't have to remember later what I numbered it. Any skein still in the wrapper is not counted; once you take it out and roll it into a ball, that's 1, and you get the other 1 when the ball is used up.

Hope that helps a little.

Ellie, I think people are just busy. I know I've been trying to spent less time on the computer although crochetville is a site I'll always look thru at least whether I post anything or not.

Just a tiny bit of crocheting this week and the 10 oz skein is still defeating me.

WTD 0      YTD -47

23 hours ago, Jayashiangel said:

I'm running late with the scores.

I'm taking a guess for you. Two skeins used up +4. Two balls frogged and rolled -2. So +2.

If I didn't get this right, you can adjust it next week.

Scores for the week ending: 2/26/22:

Gold Medal Winner: pineknott +11

Silver Medal Winners: Ellie 13 +2

PBLKNP +2

Jayashiangel +2

greyhoundgrandma 0

No Shoot the Moon winner this week!

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

On 2/27/2022 at 7:09 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

It can be a little confusing at first and may require reading thru the first post several times. The bottom line is what you use up is a + number and what you acquire is a - number. If there is confusion on frogged yarn or pieces of skeins/balls of old yarn, just remember to count it the same amount going in and going out. I find it easier to count any frogged yarn that's in a ball (even if it's huge) as 1, so I don't have to remember later what I numbered it. Any skein still in the wrapper is not counted; once you take it out and roll it into a ball, that's 1, and you get the other 1 when the ball is used up.

Hope that helps a little.

Okay so I think I understand if it's a skein it must be rolled first before counting it....

2 hours ago, Jayashiangel said:

Okay so I think I understand if it's a skein it must be rolled first before counting it....

Yes, you're using a skein and either use it up completely and that's +2. Or when you end up with a partial skein that's floppy and you decide to roll what's left into a ball, then you get +1 when you roll it into the ball and another +1 when you use up the ball. 2 points total for the skein either way.

Thanks everyone... I'll keep crocheting away may not have the numbers correct but I can at least tell you what it did 🤔 each week.... I've been busy working on little projects so I got my hook  going and all these little scrap balls everywhere...

Stashbuster Total: WTD +2 ??

Edited by Jayashiangel

How do I remember all these rules and if I use up yarn from my stash and I just started can I still get points because I can’t afford to buy any right now and what do you consider using one up. Would that be when you can’t do another row? There’s just too many questions.

You start at zero with whatever yarn you have in your stash. It's positive points when you use up yarn and negative points when you acquire points.

You count points when you use up a skein completely..+2.  If you finish a project and are at the point of not having a lot of yarn left in the skein and want to roll what's left into a ball so you don't have a floppy mesh, then you count +1 for rolling the skein into a ball. Later when you use up the ball, it counts +1. Always two points for a skein.

If you have balls of leftover yarn in your stash, it's one point each when you use them up completely.

You can always ask questions or go back to the first post of this thread to refresh your memory of the rules. It's really not hard, but does take a bit to get the hang of the positive and negative part of it. The CAL was started a number of years ago to encourage us to be aware of what is in our stash and to use up the yarn in our stashes instead of just buying new yarn.