Boxing Day 2022, share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Denise, so glad the antibiotics are working. An infected nerve sounds really painful.

The hat it cute--very cheerful. Killing the foam head sounds like something my cat would do--thanks for the laugh.

Hi Mona,  I was just looking at your signature.  Have you gone down by 76 skeins of yarn in 4 months? And in 2011 you were down 595? That’s crazy. I’m going to have to look at the stashbusting CAL to see how others do it. I don’t think I have ever used up more yarn than I bought in a year, ever!

Oh wait: update: I see now that a negative score doesn’t mean yarn went OUT. Sorry to point out your stash growth instead of your stash bust!

Edited by babypoohsmom

12 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Hi Mona,  I was just looking at your signature.  Have you gone down by 76 skeins of yarn in 4 months? And in 2011 you were down 595? That’s crazy. I’m going to have to look at the stashbusting CAL to see how others do it. I don’t think I have ever used up more yarn than I bought in a year, ever!

Oh wait: update: I see now that a negative score doesn’t mean yarn went OUT. Sorry to point out your stash growth instead of your stash bust!

LOL! Definitely more coming in than going out for me, although others have more success at using it up. My 76 skeins (and that's not including the minuses of what DID go out) this year have been finding patterns I like and going ahead and buying the yarn, historically not necessarily a good game plan for me, but too temping to resist sometimes. Yes, I'm a yarnalholic.

In my defense in 2011 I inherited my sister's yarn. No legitimate excuse the other years. LOL If the apocalypse happens, I can keep my family warm at least. LOL

Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh. 

• Like 1

Hi Mona, I’m not calling you out on your collection, I was just wondering how fast your hook works to move that much yarn out. But I get it now. I have two Addi machines so sometimes when I make hats and scarves for charity, I move some out quickly!
I always tell people that if it doesn’t hurt anyone, a yarn addiction is ok. If I had to stop today and count my skeins of yarn and scrap balls…I’d be gone for a long time. I just tell people that I am one good sale from my own episode of hoarders! 

And I’m sorry about your sister’s yarn. It seems like it wasn’t for a fun stash-busting reason. When my mom passed, I ended up with a total of 9 sewing machines. Yikes. Still have 7.

I’m going to have to keep a notebook to see how bad it is for me. The trouble is that there are a lot of Goodwill shops in my area and I feel bad for the yarn…wondering what was original purpose for the yarn and why she or he didn’t get to it.

Denise, I wish my hook did move that fast! Lots going on here, lot of life changes in the last several years. Unfortunately I've lost my crocheting motivation the last year, but not my planning/buying.

I've tried the notebook several times but never gotten all the way thru my stash. LOL Definitely need to try again just to have a list of what projects I have yarn for.

I understand about the Goodwill yarn. Sales always get me. Too often I buy for a pattern I think I really like and either don't get to it or hate it when I get started and then there's the yarn sitting there. I really, really dislike joining but sometimes those patterns will twist my arm and then I come to my senses. LOL

9 sewing machines is really impressive!! My sewing skills are very basic. My mother sewed most of my clothes when I was growing up but somehow I never did much sewing. She worked at a factory called Delta Undies when I was young. I didn't realize until many years later that all little girls didn't have dolls with plenty of panties with lace ruffles (break time use of scraps).

Mona, I would never attempt to write down all of my yarn! Oh good grief, that would be an undertaking. I meant the yarn in/yarn out ratio. My mom sewed model garments for Cloth World (pre-JoAnn’s) and was allowed to keep any leftover fabric, thread, notions and pattern. She just had to turn in the item and the pattern envelope. So I learned how to sew with whatever we had left! I started sewing when I was 7.  My mom knitted us mittens when we were kids and knew how to crochet but not how to read a pattern. She just memorized what a family friend taught her! 

Sounds like a great stash! I don't keep a running in and out separate list like I first did. It was definitely interesting to see the actual numbers, for example -4 this week actually meant I used up 3 skeins and bought 5 skeins, rather than just the end total that looked like I bought 2 skeins.

I wish I could make more than just very basic things without a pattern. I'm a crochet by the pattern just like I was always a play the piano with music not by ear. 

• Like 1

Mona I am like you.  I can not crochet without a pattern.

I am afraid to count my yarn.  I try, really, but it seems when I want to make something, I do not have the right color.  Oh well, such is the life of a knitter and crocheter.

4 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Mona I am like you.  I can not crochet without a pattern.

I am afraid to count my yarn.  I try, really, but it seems when I want to make something, I do not have the right color.  Oh well, such is the life of a knitter and crocheter.

Yes, when you need a particular color it's often not there. I don't have much wool, but LOTS of acrylic and cotton. The lack of will power that gets me in trouble with chocolate also leads to all that yarn. There are definitely worse vices. LOL

if I had to figure out what yarn I have that would be a little hard since there are two crocheters in my household and basically the yarn is the yarn we just use whatever we have or we buy what we need for say a certain project....I started off the year not counting anything but just adding if I buy any yarn like just the other day I bought six skeins of yarn they were still small from the Dollar tree however I'm planning to use them up in water bottle cozy covers we'll see how far this project goes..

My adult daughter is the other crocheter in my household...

Edited by Jayashiangel

Finally got one cat mat done. Today they added a bone stimulator to my recovery plan. So they have added electrodes and cords and a monitor that has to be strapped to my arm to the already aggravating neck brace. Yay. Can only take it off to sleep. So I guess I’ll sleep more! 70F6D252-2DB0-43B0-8B36-8CC177958445.thumb.jpeg.c838fee7d8b5a38a642a8b25309d682b.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

7410535E-0800-4507-BDCA-27DAAEE868ED.thumb.jpeg.f88378193e4a46abfbc3db0429eca4f6.jpegMy friend made one for me. She said that getting the foam pieces the right size and getting them glued together in place was difficult!

Just as I suspected.  I have been playing deaf on subtle hints.

31 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

That's good to know. I have been mildly tempted to try it. I'll mark it off the list now. My cats tend to ignore what is specifically for them anyway. LOL

When ours moved in the house she took over the people sofa and dh sat in the floor.  Miss her so much.

That is really cute.  I always wondered if they really liked the stuff we made for them.

My dog considered any chair or couch was their bed.  Also any afghan I was working on.

Guess you have to start them as kittens and puppies.

• 2 weeks later...