Boxing Day 2022, share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Hi and welcome to the Boxing Day CAL. 

Here we celebrate any charitable donations. Crochet, sewing, volunteerism, anything. This CAL was started many years ago by another member of the Ville. I don’t remember when I started opening the thread, but here we are, staring down a new year with new hope. 
Why Boxing Day? Boxing Day has been aligned with charitable giving for a long time. There are many schools of thought but the two most popular are that it has to do with alms collected for the poor during the feast of Stephen, while others believe it has to do with servants getting the day off with gifts, food and even cash bonuses. They would receive them the day after Christmas as they would be likely to work on Christmas Day. Please correct me or add info if this is wrong!

I originally joined this CAL because of the crochet work I do for animal rescue, but have branched out due to the amazing members on this forum. I have been successful at doll clothes, dish cloths hats and lovies, but have epically failed at small stockings and bird nests!  The collective amount of donated hours that translated into various items made by our members has humbled me year after year.

Please join us for some fun and charity as we all hope that 2022 is kind to all. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Good to see you back Brenda!  And Debbie, I think you’ve dropped in on us a couple of times, haven’t you? Your username seems familiar. 
Denise

Yes, I've been a member of Crochetville for a long time. I just never have much to say and don't post a lot. 

Had to go to Worcester to get my booster this morning which was about 15 minutes further out than the last time I went.  Was rewarded with a trip to the Dollar store.  Was hoping to get some birthday cards but I scored a ton of Barbie accessories for the 2022 donation.  I tend to shy away from the generic fashion doll accessories like shoes because they don't always fit the dolls. I did pick up some generic furniture that I donated last year because it clearly was the right size for the dolls and wouldn't frustrate the kids when the items didn't fit.

However, last year I noticed Dollar Tree seems to have an agreement with Mattel and they sell these little sets of shoes and other accessories with the Mattel brand.  Its always been hit or miss finding the stuff as I'm sure they are popular.  There is a Barbie blogger that periodically posts what she's purchased. 

I found most of the sets I'd seen on her blog through the summer and fall and never seen in my local stores today and I filled a basket.  There were even items I hadn't seen for the smaller Chelsea doll.

I also found tea sets for the 18" dolls.  All and all quite the reward for having to go a bit further for my booster.

Found the birthday cards I needed as well.

Down to 3 dolls I need to pick up for the donation.  Still hoping the supply chains improve before I order the last 3.  The 10" baby dolls I ordered in October finally shipped last week but the price was right and shipping wasn't an issue until next fall so the wait wasn't an issue.

Looking forward to the new year.

2 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Hi Bailey, I’d be happy to buy a doll for the 2022 donation. Just tell me where to get it and exactly what to order! 

Denise thank you so much.  If you are looking at the 18" dolls the Walmart My Life dolls are generally the best choice.  You can pick them up in store or order online. 

Bailey, I will go to the “big” Walmart (I’ve been getting groceries at the Neighborhood Market since November trying to avoid crazy Christmas shoppers) That it where I got the doll I use to test my dresses.

Jaya, welcome! I’d love to see what you do for the animals! Do you have any pictures? 

• Like 1

Trying a new doll this year.  I've been interested in the smaller Wellie wisher dolls but not interested in the American Girl prices.  Settled on trying the Glitter girls.  A model and a donation doll arrived this morning.  I already have some patterns to try.  They look like they are little sister dolls to the 18" dolls.  It will be interesting to see how the clothes fit.

Here is my first kennel mat for the year. Gifted white homespun with two different pinks and a purple. I would have liked to make it a few rows longer but ran out of white and didn’t want to spoil the pastel vibe.

C25A197A-00A8-45B4-AD9A-0A7EC9450CF1.thumb.jpeg.1f790ddd0bc5004cc9053f1461ca88c3.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 2

Well, I went to Walmart and found the My Life dolls like the one I got a few years ago on clearance. There were none on clearance or anything and ranged from $25-30. So I decided that I might as well just order one online to ship direct, save me the work of re-boxing it and going to the post office. It’s always my hope that when you order something like that, it comes from the closes distribution center to the recipient, making the shipment more efficient.

But just for fun, I looked up the American Girl dolls. Wow, they don’t need to come with adoption papers, they need to come with a payment coupon book. The lowest one I saw was about $62. They had some of them north of $150!  Yikes. 
Here are the two additional cat mats I finished this week. Then I stacked them up so you could see the different shapes and sizes.

010F8343-4E5E-4B28-841B-33D331710C6F.jpeg

1A6EBDD9-4C89-40E2-92C9-D205D2CBD3A1.jpeg

0FAD4D79-CA6E-483B-B062-81880320C5D2.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi, haven't been here for a while.  I lost my mojo for quite a while, well I have it back.

Love the pet mats.

I am working on outfits for 8.5" Cutie dolls.  I have made about 6 outfits so far.  

Starting out small, yeah first I made a pooh blanket now doll cloths.

Hope to stop in more often.

• Like 2

I always enjoy seeing your pet mats. Miss Alex is beautiful--she deserves the lead role.

I occasionally get an American girl catalog. I guess that price is ok if it's for display instead of for the child to play with. My six-year-old granddaughter wanted a big doll for Christmas and I bought a My Life from Walmart. She just doesn't take good enough care of her toys to pay more than that for one and she was thrilled with the mermaid outfit that the doll came with. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Well, I went to Walmart and found the My Life dolls like the one I got a few years ago on clearance. There were none on clearance or anything and ranged from $25-30. So I decided that I might as well just order one online to ship direct, save me the work of re-boxing it and going to the post office. It’s always my hope that when you order something like that, it comes from the closes distribution center to the recipient, making the shipment more efficient.

But just for fun, I looked up the American Girl dolls. Wow, they don’t need to come with adoption papers, they need to come with a payment coupon book. The lowest one I saw was about $62. They had some of them north of $150!  Yikes. 
Here are the two additional cat mats I finished this week. Then I stacked them up so you could see the different shapes and sizes.

010F8343-4E5E-4B28-841B-33D331710C6F.jpeg

1A6EBDD9-4C89-40E2-92C9-D205D2CBD3A1.jpeg

0FAD4D79-CA6E-483B-B062-81880320C5D2.jpeg

Thanks for looking for the dolls.

I keep them in my wish list at Walmart and do occasionally catch them on sale.  I've never managed to find them on sale in store.  I do the same thing with the Our Generation Dolls at Target.  I occasionally manage to get a deal on them as well and that's when I put the dolls away for the next donation.  My Mom's donations tend to fit the Our Generation dolls better than the My Life so I make sure I have one to go with her donations each year.

My nieces got American Girl dolls along with Target Our Generation and Springfield dolls from various family members.  I will say having moved up to donating the My Life and Our Generation from the Springfield I do appreciate the better quality hair is worth upgrading in price from the really good deals I used to get on the Springfield dolls when I could get them on sale 2 for $20.  When I had my frequent customer coupons from AC Moore sometimes one of the dolls was free. 

I've always thought it made sense to start a child with one of the lower cost dolls before moving on to the American Girl dolls.  If the child loves the doll and someone wants to buy the child an American girl doll, so be it.  If it is one of those situations where the idea of a doll doesn't live up to the reality and it doesn't get played with I'd rather not have invested in the American Girl doll.  It doesn't hurt to have a starter doll especially with younger kids. It's an expensive toy for a failed gift.

I know just from using my dolls to fit the clothes they've taken a beating over the years.  I retired a Springfield doll last year and while I passed on some model dolls for a friend's granddaughter the Springfield doll was long past being played with by anyone.  I will say while the hair was horrible I do think the Springfield was tougher as a dress maker's doll.  I suspect the My Life doll will not last as long.

Barbie Peach Gown

Had to move from Barbie farmer to Barbie Vet as they discontinued the farmer for Barbie and Ken.  Ken is a dentist this year. 

Got smarter and picked up a few of each so I won't have to change right away and match the patterns to the models.  I am constantly surprised at how different each doll is for a doll that is supposed to be "Barbie" or "Ken." 

I even found myself adjusting Chelsea patterns as she appears to have grown a 1/2" in her latest models.  I didn't realize it last year as I only made one dress that was designed for the larger dolls.  I knew she couldn't wear the smaller Kelly doll patterns I'd acquired a decade ago for my nieces as that doll was around 4" but thankfully the free patterns I downloaded have so far been fairly easy to adjust to the slightly taller and a little larger waisted doll than the previous Chelsea doll the patterns were designed to fit.

• Like 1