Aluminum Size P Hook?

PBLKNP

I don't know if this topic has been covered in the past, but is there ANYWHERE one can get an aluminum size P crochet hook? I use aluminum, as I have tendonitis and find that plastic hooks cause the yarn to drag too much, which kills my wrists. However, despite searching the Net and shops, I can't find any aluminum hooks past size N. If anyone has info--or if you know of a size P that is smoother than the usual plastic ones--I'd greatly appreciate it!

PAM

I know this sounds funny but I have an Aluminum N hook which is exactly the same size as my P Plastic Hook. I think we've discovered that not all brands go by the right letters when sizing their hooks. What MM size do you need and maybe one of us can tell you if/where you can find it!

I know this sounds funny but I have an Aluminum N hook which is exactly the same size as my P Plastic Hook. I think we've discovered that not all brands go by the right letters when sizing their hooks. What MM size do you need and maybe one of us can tell you if/where you can find it!

Yeah - I'm pretty sure there's no "industry standard" for sizing past K.

Well, I use a Boye aluminum size N crochet hook, which is 9.00 mm. If different companies size the hooks differently, that might explain why I always need a crochet hook size one up from whatever a pattern states!

PAM

Hi, Not an easy task to find this I see. But found a metal one size P here

http://www.great-yarns.com/Index%20Page/Needles-Acc.html

WOW - they list their size P as being 15mm!! I know sizing isn't standard *at all* but I've always seen P's as being 10-12mm, and S to be 15mm!!

I guess we could be more help if we knew what mm size you were looking for, LOL.

*Curses at stupid hook industry*

• 2 years later...

I realize this is a very old thread - I happened upon it while Googling for an aluminum P hook. (And as Donnalynn mentioned above, my Boye aluminum N is the same size as my cheapie plastic (so-called) "P" hook!)

I absolutely HATE the plastic hooks, but do need to use the big sizes once in a while - is there such a critter as a metal P (or even larger) hook in existence?

(Editted to add -- my metal "N" hook is a 9mm - so I'm looking for sizes larger than that....)

Well, I put a bid in on a Greydog "P" hook at Ebay. Looking at his closed listings & what the final bids on the hooks usually run up to, I kinda doubt I'll win it, but I'm giving it a shot.

After a lot of hunting around, I never did find an aluminum P hook, but I am tempted to order one of these wood hooks & give it a try.

http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/surina-wood-crochet-hooks-p-745.html

They go all the way up to an "S" size (20mm) and are only $6.95. I like the fact that you can get them in either a 7.5" length or a longer 10" length. I might order my P & if it turns out to be a nice hook, the full set is not too bad, compared to the prices of most wood hooks.

Anything to get away from that nasty plastic.... ugh....

There is so much confusion surrounding hook sizes, I hope you will not mind my asking, but did you actually measure or, could you be "assuming" that since some older Aluminum N hooks also show the SIZE Number 15 which is not the Diameter.

P is "usually" a 15mm or 16mm diameter. (note usually said with GREAT caution)

Not even sure the question makes sense.

Wheat

Not sure about Donna Lynn's experience --- my Boye "N" hook that I've had for quite a while is marked 9mm, although, no, I haven't precisely measured it. I have two cheapier plastic hooks that came with kits - I very rarely used them but the other day compared them (visually) & they appear identical to my Boye - and I noticed that one of them says "P - 9mm" on the shaft - so obviously a goof up on the manufacturers part, I would think.

Hmmm..... most of the tables I've looked at say that it's the "Q" hook that is 15 or 16mm. (Not disputing your word at all, just stating what I've seen....) They list "P" as being in the neighborhood of 11 or 12mm. Anyway, the projects I'm doing don't require exact precision with the size of my hook --- I just need something that is a bit bigger than the "N" I have, but not quite as big as the huge "Q" hook I have. Somehow I missed getting a hook that's in the general size range of 11-13mm, whatever letter it should be called...

And most of all, I wish the companies would make *metal* hooks in the large sizes! Plastic is so awful to work with .... a few yarns will do OK on it, but other yarns "stick" and won't glide nicely along the hook the way they will on a metal hook.

I always assumed they didn't make aluminum P+ because it would be too heavy.

I have both the Susan Bates Crystalite P (the pretty colored one) and the "Luxite" white plastic, and the Luxite does not squeak or drag at all for me like the Crystalite.

I did spy some Pyrex (the heavy bakeware glass) large crochet hooks for sale on Ebay if the person who asked this question 3 years ago is still paying attention and looking and money is not an object. :D

Archived