Kitchen Pattern Sleuths please 😁

LeapyearCynthia

Question

Hi y'all-

I was rummaging through a drawer at church this morning looking for a dishcloth and came across these 2 dishcloths/hotpads and this fantastic vintage chicken.  

I believe the hotpads are some version of a granny, but I can't wrap my head around how they might be constructed other than knowing they are double-layered and sewn together. 

As for the hen, I am hoping someone recognizes her.  My husband and his aunt both have a chicken fetish LOL!  Would be a perfect gift if I can locate a pattern.

Thank y'all so much for your help, I know you are a smart bunch and can at least head me in the right direction 😊

20211126_094732.jpg

20211126_094742.jpg

20211126_094928.jpg

20211126_094933.jpg

20211126_095002.jpg

20211126_094945.jpg

20211126_095025.jpg

15 answers to this question

I can't find a pattern for exactly these items, but I'm pretty sure I know (in a general way) how they are made, if you are OK with an fifty thousand foot overview not a pattern.  I'm going to make you do some homework, since you have the item you can count stitches better than I can from a photo.  

First: I would NEVER actually use any of these potholders; they are made in US DC and the stitches are to gappy IMO to be safe.  If you want to make and use them anyway, be sure to use cotton not acrylic; acrylic won't melt, but it gets ugly (I have a couple of double-sided acrylic trivets that I use to insulate the table from a hot casserole dish, they work fine but looks 'squashed'.

The chicken's body is a circle that isn't flat; the recipe for a flat DC circle is to start with 12 DC, and increase by 12 each round.  The first round is 12 DC, rnd 2 is 2 DC in each DC, rnd 3 is 1 DC, 2 DC in the next stitch, repeat.  Round 4 is DC in the next 2 stitches, 2 DC in the next stitch, repeat.  The other rounds are the same, except you keep adding 1 plain DC between the increases.  For your chicken, I don't know what the correct recipe is to get it to ruffle like that, but you are going to have to put more increases than 12 per round - here is where counting stitches in your original will come in.  For the head and tail, this is a 1 dimensional chicken whose accents could be borrowed for the head and feathers (you tube pattern), although at least the tail part looks like it would be easy to replicate without a pattern.  I assume you will be making 2 chickens, crocheting together at the edge before adding head etc.

The lime is a "not flat circle" as well.  Count  the rounds and where the colors change.  The 'spokes' are probably surface slip stitch, this is really easy, sort of like making a chain, but thru a crochet or knit fabric.  You'll need to do this on both sides unless it's ok to have a 'wrong' side to your pot holder, the top looks like a chain but the bottom looks like dashes - - - .

For the lime and the chicken, if you intend to use them you will need to make a second circle and crochet them together around the outside  edge. 

The one that looks like a folded granny square probably IS (sort of) just that.    Count the stitches in the ring, and make the ring.  Count the stitches used in each side of the center gap - it looks like 6?  What I believe was done, or imagine would work, is - in the front loops of the ring, work 1 DC SC in the next 6 sts, chain 5, work 1 DC SC in the next 6 sts, chain 5.  Leave the rest of the ring alone, turn, and do the same thing with the remaining free loops of the stitches you just worked (which WERE the back loops, but now they are in front).  Join, chain 3, turn.  Now you will be working in both loops, same side facing you, and chaining up each round (In other words, not a spiral).  In each 5-chain gap/corner, work 2 DC SC, ch1, 2DC SC (sort of like a granny square).  The shape you will be making is more or less a cone.  I can't tell if the bottom is left open; like I said I would not use a double layer DC pot holder let a lone a single layer, so I'd match the corners and SC the opening closed.  OOPS - sorry, this appears to be SC or possibly HDC not DC, my bad!  

Edited by Granny Square

I like the last 2 'German' potholders, but they are only 1 layer, which I might trust for a trivet but not a potholder.  I was assuming the OP's version was 2 layers like the others, but then again those weren't shown opened up. 

And I just realized I said DC for that one, pretty sure it isn't, I'll go fix my post.

This one is double thickness.  Its made in rounds and folded.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pot-of-jewels

Seems like I made a similar chicken one 4 lifetimes ago.  Definitely pre internet and I have no idea where the pattern came from and doubt I have it.  Then it could be a deal where I found one looked at it and then made several.  After those I remember just winging it to make chicken toaster covers.

17 hours ago, LeapyearCynthia said:

Hi y'all-

I was rummaging through a drawer at church this morning looking for a dishcloth and came across these 2 dishcloths/hotpads and this fantastic vintage chicken.  

I believe the hotpads are some version of a granny, but I can't wrap my head around how they might be constructed other than knowing they are double-layered and sewn together. 

As for the hen, I am hoping someone recognizes her.  My husband and his aunt both have a chicken fetish LOL!  Would be a perfect gift if I can locate a pattern.

Thank y'all so much for your help, I know you are a smart bunch and can at least head me in the right direction 😊

20211126_094732.jpg

20211126_094742.jpg

20211126_094928.jpg

20211126_094933.jpg

20211126_095002.jpg

20211126_094945.jpg

20211126_095025.jpg

The hen is a rooster in this pattern:

http://loopsandramblings.blogspot.com/2011/11/rooster-potholder.html?m=1

Y'all are a wonderful bunch, such a wealth of information.  I am truly grateful!!

I brought the little chicken home with me yesterday (with permission) and got to counting stitches.  Between that and looking at all the good stuff y'all have sent me, I have determined that this pattern is the one ( though for whatever reason her shape looks just a bit different and the comb may be just a tiny bit different). **Thank you  @NCcountrygal 🧡**

http://loopsandramblings.blogspot.com/2011/11/rooster-potholder.html?m=1

I am having knee surgery (meniscus) next week so I will be working on this one, and probably the diamonds as well.  We will see how they end up 😄  Thank you all again for your help 🧡🧡

Edited by LeapyearCynthia
  • Thanks 1

Hi Reni, your last link went to the Yahoo.com main page - they dropped their 'groups' a while back, which is where Celt's' patterns were.  I couldn't get it to come up on wayback machine.

There are some novelty vintage potholderpatterns on this site, none exactly like yours but a couple close-ish to the one on the diagonal (enough should keep you busy during your hopefully brief and painless recovery ;)  

Edited by Granny Square

23 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hi Reni, your last link went to the Yahoo.com main page - they dropped their 'groups' a while back, which is where Celt's' patterns were.  I couldn't get it to come up on wayback machine.

There are some novelty vintage potholderpatterns on this site, none exactly like yours but a couple close-ish to the one on the diagonal (enough should keep you busy during your hopefully brief and painless recovery ;)  

Oops- I forgot about that. I deleted that link. I access Celt's patterns now through the wayback machine site.  If I remember correctly, links from there are not permitted on Crochetville.

Edited by ReniC

A lot of the books that were the source of the patterns that were on Celt's site have been added to antiquepatternlibrary.org now, but you have to 'flip thru' books to find the patterns.  They have descriptions of the contents of the books/pamphlets, so you can find stuff searching for very generic descriptions like 'potholder'.

• Like 1

I have a pattern for the square potholder, I make them a lot. I got it in sewing class 8th grade (maybe, late 70's) It's an old pamphlet they used to teach :crocheting . Has a lot of granny square stuff. You make a ch 12 (+/-) ring, (I use a 1" plastic ring), work 16 sc in it, use the front loops [sc in 2 sc, ch 2, sc in 2 sc], turn and use the free loops, [sc in 2 sc, ch 2, sc in 2 sc] join with sl st, working in both loops in a rnd. You sc in each sc, [sc, ch 2, sc] in the ch space, join with sl st and ch 1 up each rnd. Do 22 or 23 rnds then fold it flat, working through both layers, sc each sc, 3 sc in ch spaces across to close. With a G hook and sugar & cream cotton, 1 skein makes 1 potholder.

Ellie 13