Ear flaps on hats

Welcome to the 'ville!  Hmm, no idea, but there must be a multi-sized ear-flap pattern out there somewhere, I'll take a look....

Here is an easy looking multi sized hat from newborn to adult, I didn't look at the pattern instructions but you could get your answer of inches by calculating the stitch gauge versus the stitches used in that area.

...A while later...I looked at the pattern, I had assumed it gave a stitch gauge but I thought I'd better check, HOWEVER it does not, in the traditional sense.

It says 'round 1-3 measures 3" in diameter.  It is the same stitch pattern at that point for all sizes--24 stitches.  BUT it's a mix of HDC and DC. that changes round to round, so my idea of using width gauge per # of stitches around the back between the ears = distance in inches isn't going to work, sorry.

I haven't been successful in finding another pattern, I found another multi sized ones all using the same stitch type for all the sizes, but the ear spacing did not seem right - the hats were folded in half, and same distance across in front as behind the ear flaps , which is not anatomically correct. 

I just did a rough measurement of my head at the point a hat brim would sit, it's about 3/5ths in front of my ears and 2/5ths behind.  But the proportion might be different for a baby than an adult.

I put 'head measurement by age and ear placement' in the google search area, and all sorts of stuff came up, hopefully one of those charts should have the info you are looking for.

Edited by Granny Square

Bgs to the rescue!  You have better google-fu than I. 

And it gives 'gps coordinates' so you can tell if you are working the front or back of the hat the hat, so you can tell which between-flap gap is the front vs back (it tells you to make 1 earflap, skip x sts for the front of the hat, and work the other earflap), so knowing the # of stitches for each flap+the front, and the total # of sts, you can calculate the back gap measurement using the stitch gauge.

20 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Bgs to the rescue!  You have better google-fu than I. 

And it gives 'gps coordinates' so you can tell if you are working the front or back of the hat the hat, so you can tell which between-flap gap is the front vs back (it tells you to make 1 earflap, skip x sts for the front of the hat, and work the other earflap), so knowing the # of stitches for each flap+the front, and the total # of sts, you can calculate the back gap measurement using the stitch gauge.

Google-fu! 😅  Love it!!