Roll Neck Crocheted Sweater Pattern

Carol Rose

Question

I have downloaded a pattern for a roll neck sweater.  I need more instruction.  Cannot find notes any where online.  Need to know the gauge and where the "pattern" starts--at bottom?  The ridges are vertical in the picture, but horizontal as worked.  Help. Has anyone crocheted this sweater??  It is easy to find on Ravelry and Pinterest.

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!  I will look on Ravelry under 'roll neck sweater', is that the name of the pattern?

From what you said, my first impulse was to say 'find another pattern if it does not provide gauge and rudimentary information such as telling you where you are in a pattern'.  There are an extraordinary number of absolutely ghastly self published patterns out there (that's mostly what we see in this help section).

Just a thought, by your description - since you have no idea how the pattern starts, vertical lines are sometimes created by working vertically (from hem to shoulder to hem), so you may be starting the first row at the left front hem, and ending that row at the back left hem, and further rows will be growing to the right side seam.  Some patterns are worked the same way except one sleeve cuff to the other, without breaking the yarn (so it looks sort of like a plus sign + ), and then you fold at the shoulders and make 2 seams from left hem up and over to left cuff, and same for the right hem to cuff.

Edited by Granny Square

Is this it? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/roll-neck-sweater-5  It is really nice looking.

I will give the designer a little slap upside the head for not explaining that the body is made vertically to the floor, and the sleeves are made side to side - this is obvious (to me, but I've been crocheting for decades) simply by the appearance of the stitches.

I was editing my first post to use the word 'vertical' and a bit more explanation instead of side to side to be more clear, and I think I posted my second post at the same time as you did yours.

I have made a couple of side to side garments, they are really super easy.  

Reading farther, this is made vertically for the body, and there are more pieces than I described in my 'guess' earlier.  There is a separate front and a back (each made top to bottom, vertical to the floor direction), 2 sleeves (each made in the parallel to the floor direction).

The neck piece is added after the front, back, and sleeves are done and seamed; you attach the yarn to the neckline, and work around the opening, up toward the head.

I don't think this is a difficult pattern, but it does require seaming, which is a lot of people's least favorite things to do.

Throwing this out there, top-down raglans are pretty easy, but they'd not have the vertical stitch look that this one has.  (the shape of the sleeve attachment of your pattern is a raglan).  

This would be a super-easy pattern https://makeanddocrew.com/easy-crochet-raglan-sweater-pattern-free/   And it comes in a LOT of sizes.  You could add a similar funnel/turtleneck collar to this one; just attach the yarn to the neck line (working right side out) when you are done, and work around and around the neck line(not in a spiral, you'd want to make a join-seam either center back probably).  It has a straight sleeve option as well (the wide sleeve in the photo was the only thing I didn't care for, looked drafty!).

I usually am annoyed by patterns with a lot of in-process photos, BUT if you have never made a raglan, I think the photos in this case, at the point the flat yoke stops and the body in the round starts, are a great idea.  I remember having a hard time imagining why I was doing certain steps in my first raglan written pattern when 'poof!' armholes suddenly appeared.

Forgot to mention, I gave you the direct link to the pattern but on Ravelry, where I found it, (it's called Sigfrid there) it had high ratings for clarity and low ratings for difficulty.

Edited by Granny Square