Help with Crochet Angel pattern

Question

Hi, 

I have been crocheting for a while, but don't tend to follow patterns, if I do I tend to watch a video tutorial. I am currently trying to make an angel christmas tree topper and I am stuck as to what this part of the pattern means. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Bits in bold are the rounds I do not understand. Though I'd include the previous round for context as it may help, not sure. 

Pattern written in UK CROCHET TERMINOLOGY

Round 13: Ch3, sk first st, *in next htr work shell of 2tr, ch2, 2tr, tr in next htr. Repeat from * around, join to top of beginning ch with sl st. (6 shells)

ROUND 14: Ch3, *shell in shell, tr in tr. Repeat from * around, join with sl st in 3rd st of beginning ch. 

ROUND 15: Ch4, *shell in shell, ch1, tr in tr, ch1. Repeat from * around, join with sl st in 3rd st of beginning ch. 

I mainly do not understand what shell in shell means, does it mean I have to copy the shell in the previous row, in the gaps from the previous shells? And also what does tr in tr mean? Does it mean I have to put a treble crochet in the treble from the previous row?

Mum found the pattern on EbAY and the seller does not seem to have any help. 

I am just slightly confused as to what these two rows actually mean. Thank you in advance. 

Amie

5 answers to this question

Hi, and welcome to the ville!  The pattern describes a shell as 'in next htr work shell of 2tr, ch2, 2tr", so sort of looks like \\°°//

This variation of shell is 'split in the middle' by 2 chains; it's sometimes called a 'V Stitch'.  [shells and V stitches are related, a V stitch is a shell with a chain or chains in the middle].  It is REALLY common for patterns to use V stitches in a repeating pattern, where after row 1 of V stitches, row 2 has you making a V stitch IN each V stitch of the row below, thus:  You do not stick your hook in a stitch, but rather yarn over, stick the hook under the chain in the middle of the chain of the V stitch, and complete that stitch, and the rest of the V stitch, AROUND that chain - so not much different than poking your hook under the top 2 loops of a 'regular' stitch, and form a stitch around those top 2 loops.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

does it mean I have to copy the shell from the previous row, in the gaps from the previous shells?    yes

Does it mean I have to put a treble crochet in the treble from the previous row?  yes

Oops, thanks BGS, I focused on 'I mainly do not understand what shell in shell means' and overlooked the second question.  Working over a chain is a weird concept the first time you encounter it.  

4 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Oops, thanks BGS, I focused on 'I mainly do not understand what shell in shell means' and overlooked the second question.  Working over a chain is a weird concept the first time you encounter it.  

We are a tag team!  You explained the hard stuff.  I took the easy ones.

Edited by bgs