Help with shawl pattern

Question

1st row: (RS). 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. (Ch 1. Skip next ch. 1 sc in next ch) 9 times. (1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Skip next ch) 9 times. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 38 sts. 2ndrow:Ch1.*1scinnextsc. (1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. Skip next sc) 8 times. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. 1 sc in next sc. Rep from * once more. Turn.

my question is the underlined part. Confused about sp (space) and skip. Is it the same?

1 answer to this question

Repasting with emphasis on the skips and spaces

1st row: (RS). 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. (Ch 1. Skip next ch. 1 sc in next ch) 9 times. (1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Skip next ch) 9 times. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 38 sts. 2ndrow:Ch1.*1sc in next sc. (1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. Skip next sc) 8 times. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. 1 sc in next sc. Rep from * once more. Turn.

Your pattern is being very clear and telling you what sort of stitch to skip, it tells you above to skip 1 chain in 2 different spots, and 1 sc in the ch-1 sp in 2 other spots.  "Skip the next stitch  just means "you see that next stitch?  Pretend it isn't there, and do the next thing I tell you into the stitch after the one I told you to skip'.

As you can see, a chain 1 or chain space is a stitch, and has nothing to do with skipping in the row following the one that you quoted.  

If you have never worked a stitch 'into' a chain space before, you normally stitch around it; you stick the hook under the chain just like you'd stick the hook under the top loops of a 'normal' stitch, yarn over and complete the stitch..

Edited by Granny Square