doll baseball cap, pattern question

MysticCrochet94

Question

Hi, I tried asking this question to the pattern creator but have received no reply. 

I'm working from a pattern in US crochet terms, to create a small baseball cap for a doll.

The pattern says: 'Row 20: turn, sc in next st, FLO – sc in each of next 52 sts, for both sides of the stitch – (1 sc, ch1, 1 sc) in one stitch, go to the lateral side, crochet from the lateral side of each row. 
(I added the full instructions for this part for context. I'm confused as to what the 'lateral' side is?) 

Thanks so much for any help. 💖

15 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

It says to work FLO.  This is a GUESS -- I'm not sure lateral is the best word to describe it, but if my guess is right, your question is one of the most common question we see in the help section.  (It's a weird transaction the first time one encounters it)

If you look at the top of a crochet stitch, it has 2 loops like this = sort of.  If you worked into only the front loop of the chain across, then turned, without 'chaining up', and worked across the loops of the tops of the stitches that you didn't use the first time - these WERE the back loops but will 'look like' front loops again.  So you have worked up 1 side and down the other, making a skinny oval; if, now, you just keep going around and around, thru both loops, probably decreasing at each 'end' eventually, you will have made a double sided bill all in 1 go.

11 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  

It says to work FLO.  This is a GUESS -- I'm not sure lateral is the best word to describe it, but if my guess is right, your question is one of the most common question we see in the help section.  (It's a weird transaction the first time one encounters it)

If you look at the top of a crochet stitch, it has 2 loops like this = sort of.  If you worked into only the front loop of the chain across, then turned, without 'chaining up', and worked across the loops of the tops of the stitches that you didn't use the first time - these WERE the back loops but will 'look like' front loops again.  So you have worked up 1 side and down the other, making a skinny oval; if, now, you just keep going around and around, thru both loops, probably decreasing at each 'end' eventually, you will have made a double sided bill all in 1 go.

Thanks so much for replying and trying to help me! I'm still rather a beginner at crochet and unfortunately don't quite understand your explanation. Where am I working my next stitches? (the 'lateral side') 

I've attached the full row explanation to hopefully help, and a few photos of what I've worked up so far. Also this pattern is worked (so far) wrong side out. 
My stitch marker is placed in right after completing the '(1 sc, ch1, 1 sc) in one stitch'. 

hT.jpg

20211020_150726.jpg

20211020_151313.jpg

20211020_151400.jpg

20211020_151408.jpg

I was guessing that you were making the bill; doing what I described would make a double thick bill, and I must have over-edited and deleted the part that said that, sorry!

Is row 20 the last round, or is there more after that?  Because if this is a beanie with a bill, it looks 'about done'.  

Orienting myself, the bill is facing the palm of your hand.

The lateral side makes more sense now - pretty sure it means work into the sides of rows, because you are in row 20 and it's talking about stitches in the 14th row.  However, you can't work FLO into the sides of rows, there are no 'stitch tops' there, and no front or back stitch-top loops to work into.

Is this the last round of the hat?  If it is, I think I'd just work around it as evenly as possible in SC; on an outside corner make sc, ch1, sc, and on an inside corner sc, skip the corner, sc, (or sc 2 tog, one of each of these 2 scs being on opposite inside sides of the corner), this will make the corners turn more crisply and lay flat.

If row 20 isn't the last round - if there is a link to the finished item, it might help if we can 'see where it is going' if not just a last round that needs to finish it.

If any other 'helpers' here have other ideas in case I'm overlooking something, please join in.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I was guessing that you were making the bill; doing what I described would make a double thick bill, and I must have over-edited and deleted the part that said that, sorry!

Is row 20 the last round, or is there more after that?  Because if this is a beanie with a bill, it looks 'about done'.  

The lateral side makes more sense now - pretty sure it means work into the sides of rows, because you are in row 20 and it's talking about stitches in the 14th row.  However, you can't work FLO into the sides of rows, there are no 'stitch tops' there, and no front or back stitch-top loops to work into.

Is this the last round of the hat?  If it is, I think I'd just work around it as evenly as possible in SC; on an outside corner make sc, ch1, sc, and on an inside corner sc, skip the corner, sc, (or sc 2 tog, one of each of these 2 scs being on opposite inside sides of the corner), this will make the corners turn more crisply and lay flat.

If row 20 isn't the last round - if there is a link to the finished item, it might help if we can 'see where it is going' if not just a last round that needs to finish it.

If any other 'helpers' here have other ideas in case I'm overlooking something, please join in.

I have been following.  Nothing immediately comes to mind.  Not enough info to even begin seeing how this is supposed to work out.  From what I do see not sure I would figure it out if I had the whole pattern and photo.  What's the name of the pattern and designers name or give us the link to it?   The more info we have the better chance we have of figuring this out.  Sometimes we can search and find helpful comments from others.

1442627052_20211020_151408.thumb.jpg.7a7b57967d52da6e5d99c0d7f7d97c403.jpg.7742167610bd19f656b91f2572055910.jpg

So is red arrow row 20, black arrow lateral side, and green arrow row 14?  I can sort of see it that way but if thats the case havent figured out other instructions.  And then there is a ch 14 in there?  Is that going to be a chin strap to hold the hat onto the doll?  I dont know not having seen a photo.

16 hours ago, bgs said:

I have been following.  Nothing immediately comes to mind.  Not enough info to even begin seeing how this is supposed to work out.  From what I do see not sure I would figure it out if I had the whole pattern and photo.  What's the name of the pattern and designers name or give us the link to it?   The more info we have the better chance we have of figuring this out.  Sometimes we can search and find helpful comments from others.

This is the pattern: 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/930956280/pdf-pattern-crochet-baseball-cap-with-a?ref=yr_purchases

17 hours ago, Granny Square said:

No round 20 isn't the last round, it's not quite up to the bill yet. The crescent moon shape here https://content.invisioncic.com/r276385/monthly_2021_10/20211020_150726.thumb.jpg.5cb89875191942f71183472d54b13cc2.jpg

is the back of the cap that will end up (hopefully) looking like this:

Untitledh.jpg.b4a8d7d23aa9e8716a8ec2765f5a1f65.jpg

Also, the designer finally responded with this only: 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.194a6db4e166981e7e116800d528ab2f.jpg

26 minutes ago, bgs said:

1772635123_Untitledh.jpg.b4a8d7d23aa9e8716a8ec2765f5a1f653.jpg.f3296d9cda03a4c7d0890f880492a858.jpg

Now I see what the chains are for.  Red lines are the lateral sides.  Green line is row 14.  On the lateral sides you are working into the sides of the stitches.  

You're being so helpful I really appreciate it. I hate to ask (I tried google), how does one work into the sides of a stitch? Is it just going through one loop? Sorry if I'm being daft. 

You're not being daft, it's just something you haven't encountered before.  

It's a little, mmm, trickier?  than usual, because there isn't a neat and tidy stitch top like you are used to.  The 'trick' is to try to be consistent in how you place your stitches, pick this bump and that thread (or whatever) as best you can, while still hitting the stitch count you need to traverse.  (p.s., this is not my favorite thing, either).  

• Thanks 1