Greetings from Toronto

DHagen

Good day all!

I'm very new to crochet ... I'm two weeks into it now.  I actually started this as more of a put-up-or-shut-up with my wife.  She is a knitter, and it has been taking her a long time to complete a vest (I've gutted and rebuilt 2 full bathrooms in the same time period).  I guess I just ribbed her one to many times about how long it was taking, and she challenged me to make my own stuff.  So, after watching an episode of Knit and Crochet now on PBS, I decided that the best way to keep harmony in the house was to crochet ... plus, it looked fun to me.

I don't really know how you are supposed to start, so I am in the swatch stage.  I can somewhat confidently do most to the basic stiches (sc, dc, hdc, sl st, tr, ch).  I'm currently trying to get my head around chainless foundations .... very frustrating.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I apologize in advance for my dumb questions that will be forthcoming.

Regards

Hello from Mississippi!

Crochet is definitely faster than knitting. It sounds like you have a good start on learning the basics. There are lots of videos of stitches and whole projects on youtube and on individuals' sites. The foundation stitches are more challenging to me also, but can be an advantage in some instances. No dumb questions; if you don't ask, you won't ever learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Welcome to Crochetville 👋 

Popping by from the UK 🇬🇧 

You will love it here, we are a lovely bunch and there is always someone around to help in the crochet help section.

I look forward to seeing you around the boards 😀

Nikki