Pattern help please!

Question

Hi there, I am new to all this and I'm trying to make a rose. I've been able to figure out the first 2 steps but now I'm lost, thanks in advance!

Round 2: ch3, dc at the same st, dc 3, ch 3, sl st at the same st, * ch 3, dc 4, ch3, sl  st at the next st* 

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

What it sounds like your are doing is making a petal; I make a lot of lace doilies and 'this sort of thing' is common--where you make a shape that starts at the 'floor' with a chain up, make a few stitches across, then a chain back down, then (maybe) slip stitch to 'scoot over' and do it again.  The floor is the top of the row or round below.

Round 2: ch3, dc at the same st, dc 3, ch 3, sl st at the same st, * ch 3, dc 4, ch3, sl  st at the next st* 

The red part: you are starting from the 'floor' and chaining 3 'up'.

The blue part: you are making 3 dcs, which along with the red chain 3 is 4 DC, which (I'm guessing) is the petal.

The green part: you are chaining 3 back down to the 'floor'.

The black part:  this starts a repeat of what you did  before:  chain 3 up from the floor, DC 4, chain 3 down to the floor.

It  sounds like the chain up, DCs and chain back down group of instructions is all in 1 stitch, which makes sense for a petal.  This is a  guess on my part--look at the pattern photo and the number of stitches you have to  work with after round 1, to see what makes sense with the # of petals .

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  

What it sounds like your are doing is making a petal; I make a lot of lace doilies and 'this sort of thing' is common--where you make a shape that starts at the 'floor' with a chain up, make a few stitches across, then a chain back down, then (maybe) slip stitch to 'scoot over' and do it again.  The floor is the top of the row or round below.

The red part: you are starting from the 'floor' and chaining 3 'up'.

The blue part: you are making 3 dcs, which along with the red chain 3 is 4 DC, which (I'm guessing) is the petal.

The green part: you are chaining 3 back down to the 'floor'.

The black part:  this starts a repeat of what you did  before:  chain 3 up from the floor, DC 4, chain 3 down to the floor.

It  sounds like the chain up, DCs and chain back down group of instructions is all in 1 stitch, which makes sense for a petal.  This is a  guess on my part--look at the pattern photo and the number of stitches you have to  work with after round 1, to see what makes sense with the # of petals .

Aha yes thank you! I appreciate the detailed explanation, this helps a lot! I didn't know whether to include the petal detail, but yes that makes sense!