Is a Puff stitch generally counted as a stitch?

There's a beaded shawl I like to make for donation for auctions (I have made it 5 times).  It's a spider stitch combined with puff stitches and a unique king of beaded fringe.  It's beautiful and generally gets a lot of bids.

However ... I have only figured out this time around why my starting chain and Row 1 with all DCs always was 31 stitches short.  Row 2 is where the puff stitches start.  Getting through Row 2 has always been somewhat nightmarish.

I finally figured out if I don't count the 31 Puff Stitches in Row 2 that my starting chain as in the pattern is correct.

It's as if you could ignore the puff stitches in the pattern and glue them on afterwards. 

Now I'm wondering after 50+ years of crocheting whether this is just something I've missed altogether. 

I hoped my explanation is clear -- do Puff stitches generally get counted as 1 stitch?  Or not? 

The pattern doesn't really explicitly state it except to say that the puff stitch is inbetween 2 DCs from the row below it. 

That's an interesting question /observation.  I don't think it means that a puff stitch never counts as a stitch, that doesn't make sense, plus I'd guess they are more often made into a stitch than between them. 

And I doubt you make puff stitches in each gap between stitches in the row below, right, probably in every other gap or every third gap or whatever.  So, I'd think the chain calculation would have to take into consideration the set up of the first row required to accommodate the spacing of the puffs.

Example, say the spacing of each puff has 2 DCs before and after it.  One of the set of 2 would also be 'used' by another puff, and then some interruption of that pattern probably happens at the edges.  So in this example, the chain count would 1 for each of the 2 DCs for every puff 'space', plus 2 DCs (that 'shared' set), plus 2 chains for turning*, I think I may have just told you 1 chain too many but better to many than too few - you can pick extra chains.

*always chain 2 more than the # of DCs you end up with: example in your head chain 4, DC in the 4th chain from the hook - you have 3 chains that =1 DC, and 1 real DC, so 2 DCs from 4 chains.

Edited by Granny Square

Your shawls sound very pretty. In my experience with puff st, they are counted as a stitch. I do like when a pattern has different types of stitches, to include in each row count how many of each of the stitches are expected, i.e. (20 ch, 20 dc, 10 puff st, 1 ch 3). Hope I explained that so it's clearer than mud.

Thanks for the replies -- I felt as though I was going crazy with the first row of the Puff Stitches.  I really think this is the first pattern I've encountered where Puff stitches don't count into the total. 

If you have a Ravelry ID, it's this pattern.  When I looked over the comments from people making it, there were a lot of people confused with Row 2.  Finally with my 4th making of it, I thought maybe it wasn't Row 2 per se, it was the explanation of the puff stitch not being counted.  Without any puff stitches, it could be simple filet crochet with spider stitch thrown in. 

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/emergence-shawl

That is a very pretty shawl. The designer Kathryn White (scroll to bottom for info) used to answer her e-mails and was a member here on Crochetville. Maybe she could give you some advice on her pattern. 

Edited by ReniC

Ooh, pretty! The pattern calls them popcorns, I usually sub popcorns for puffs because I like the look better, but 'same thing' as far as counting them as a stitch, they should count.

Maybe Interweave messed up their editing; it was actually the spectacularly awful editing that a different US crochet magazine committed on one of the same designer's doily patterns nearly 10 years ago that caused me to stop subscribing to that other magazine.  I did contact K. W. (she was active here then) and asked here a couple of specific questions ("when this part said, X, it really meant Y, correct?") and she was very nice about replying and confirming my guesses, and gave me her wording of the lines in question which were perfectly clear and didn't need editing.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, Granny Square said:

The pattern calls them popcorns,

This is the result of the aging process.    What I type is frequently not in my head.  I was excellent at grammar once upon a time and used to turn up my nose at those people who made mistakes such as "there/their/they're" or "too/two/to".  I'm losing vocabulary words and frequently substitute with the wrong one. 

Heh, no worries, I think we are probably in the same age bracket and the same thing happens to me sometimes, a word or a name evaporates from my head just when I need it.  It's because we have gained so much wisdom in our years it takes longer to access the right file cabinet in our brain...right?

• Haha 1